Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Writing (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   My Game reviews (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600)

Guesty81 08-17-2008 03:02 PM

My Game reviews

Hi Guesty81 here,

Been writing a review blog for a few weeks now and hoped people would check it out. I'm currently reviewing the newest games in my collection so there's reviews of

Soul Calibur 4
Civilization Revolution
Bionic Command rearmed

The blog has only been up for a fortnight, but I wondered if anyone could help me out, I need to contact the companies/developers with review code or previews of games.

Does anyone have any contact info or where i need to go next.

The blog can be read Here

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Guesty81

Adrir 08-17-2008 10:19 PM

Thank you for sharing. I especially like the article on Bionic Commander, although I only skimmed it briefly to be honest. Numeric scores are also a pet hate of mine, but if it works for you, then awesome!

Well done, keep it up!

Guesty81 08-18-2008 12:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I mreally looking for some help to gain review copies of games from publishers, but don't know who to contact as ideally it'd be good to review them prior to release.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'll be posting another two later this week.

Guesty81

Adrir 08-18-2008 03:22 AM

I think publishers only release that kind of material to experienced journalists working for magazines or high profile websites.

Guesty81 08-18-2008 03:59 PM

kk Thanks, for those who own an xbox 360 I've just posted my Braid review

here's the opening

"Individuality, bit of a mixed bag really; for all that applaud such 'special' qualities, there's the stick waving mob ready to roast the Ogre. Think about it Gandhi, JFK, Martin Luther King heck even Jesus! I'm sure you've noticed the common pattern; and gaming too has its own fair share of gaming casualties, Psi - Ops, Beyond Good and Evil, Ico, to name but three, all sporting the 'individuality' badge. Braid almost aware of this, treads an uneasy path between freak or unique within the gaming world"

To read the Full Review Click Here

Speaking of my blog do you think the reader ship would like a editorial or some more game topic posts rather than reviews, Im considering adding it to make it feel more of a magazine, but would love to get feedback as always.

Thanks again

Guesty81

Adrir 08-18-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guesty81 (Post 7262)
Speaking of my blog do you think the reader ship would like a editorial or some more game topic posts rather than reviews, Im considering adding it to make it feel more of a magazine, but would love to get feedback as always.

Have you considered getting together with some friends and running a magazine? If you're a univeristy student, you could easily find a print crew that might be interested in games-related articles. Otherwise, you create a digital magazine in InDesign or something, even if it was an example to put in a portfolio.

Something else to consider is trying to get articles published. If you want to be a writer, then having a portfolio of newspaper and magazine clippings is something really cool to show a prospective employer.

Guesty81 08-20-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrir (Post 7273)
If you're a univeristy student, you could easily find a print crew that might be interested in games-related articles.

sadly those years are long behind me lol :) yes i was thinking of contacting the local press to see if theyd give me a collumn or spare area in their paper. Im also contacting the newer publishers as they'll be more interested in being covered i guess.

should have new article up soon, maybe as soon as tonight if i can crack on

Adrir 08-21-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guesty81 (Post 7377)
sadly those years are long behind me lol :) yes i was thinking of contacting the local press to see if theyd give me a collumn or spare area in their paper. Im also contacting the newer publishers as they'll be more interested in being covered i guess.

Ah, that is unfortunate. What did you study while you were at univeristy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guesty81 (Post 7377)
should have new article up soon, maybe as soon as tonight if i can crack on.

Awesome!

Guesty81 08-21-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrir (Post 7379)
Ah, that is unfortunate. What did you study while you were at univeristy?

Ba combined hons English language and media

Guesty81 08-21-2008 01:24 PM

sorry for the double post, the article is now up on the blog, and covers the whole downloadable content pricing debacle that has kicked off.

Here's an excerpt

"Adidas 4 stripe' trainers, Nicks bag and le shark T - shirts! to say I was sponsored by a market stall in my youth was an understatement! You see for my mum it was value for her money and while this may be true; being asked if I sold the Big issue by countless classmates didn't help to reassure me that I'd been wearing 'quality' You see price, value and quality are so concretely linked, that depending on your definition of each, your level of satisfaction is based... For some reason Microsoft have seemingly forgotten this.

Microsoft's prize Bull of this holiday season has been the 'Summer of Arcade', with game quality each week being sublime - ranging from the guts and glory bionic commando through to the psychedelic genocide offered up by Galaga. Microsoft though has inadvertently thrown a spanner into its own machine; Namely through the nonsensical pricing policy!"

To read the full article read Gameztraffic here

Thanks again for the continued support and happy reading

Guesty81