Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other/Off-Topic (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Damn Long Meetings! (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1654)

Adrir 08-29-2008 03:07 PM

Damn Long Meetings!

Hey everyone!

I had a brilliantly frustrating day today full of joyous meetings. It's what everyone wants on a Friday afternoon! In the morning I was playing Systems Analyst on the TAD Project (Teaching Allocations Database), followed by a few hours of solo lab work, then had a lovely afternoon sitting in on the CELCAT (It's a timetabling tool) demonstration acting as a Technical Consultant.

Furthermore, after several long hours of meetings for the majority of the day, the executive team of the Games Society held the first of out official meeting. Since I was recently elected President, it was my responsibility to organise and run the meet. It was fun actually, although afterwards, it was quite tiring.

So, I'm pretty brain dead at the moment. Ironically, the team went with most of the decisions I wanted to go for anyway. Those members of the executive team whose opinion I really wanted to hear, since they were mostly opposed to mine, decided to just send their apologies and not show. Thus, abdicating their right to contribute to the decision-making process.

I also just noticed I spent about 5 hrs 30 minutes in meetings today and while decisions were made, I didn't really do any productive work. What does everyone think of meetings?

Gshonk 08-29-2008 04:07 PM

I think you should start a blog for your rantings. :) But yea meetings can suck but most of ours at work include food. :)

TG1 08-29-2008 11:39 PM

Meetings can be a good thing or they can be a total waste of time. it really depends on who is invited to the meeting, how many people are attending and how well the meeting purpose is defined. Most of the meetings I attend at work are design meetings, that have the tendency to go on forever (way beyond the time that was planned for them) and to end without a any concrete desicions (especially if there are 2 or more people with a different opinion on what should be done). I especially "love" meetings where you have to go through a document or presentaiton and never get passed the first page/slide.
Also, I beleive there should be global rules as to when to schedule a meeting, I really hate it when I have meetings during lunch hours, too early in the morning or too late in the evening...

Adrir 08-30-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gshonk (Post 7856)
I think you should start a blog for your rantings. :)

Possibly. Although if I did start a blog, I would proberbly just rant about the games I'm playing all the time.

Halo Girl 08-30-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrir (Post 7873)
Possibly. Although if I did start a blog, I would proberbly just rant about the games I'm playing all the time.

How boring. :p

Adrir 08-31-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halo Girl (Post 7876)
How boring. :p

If you don't like ranting.

Gshonk 08-31-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrir (Post 7873)

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean I started my blog originally to help people curious in Full Sail, but now it is just kind of me talking about the entertainment industry as a whole.

Kodiak 08-31-2008 11:37 AM

It sounds like you're learning invaluable skills for later, as horrible as it may seem after hour 4 of meeting 5 for the day...

Meetings are an everyday occurence and a necessary evil when operating as part of a team, no matter how small. Without coordination, the best team will achieve nothing.

The question is how efficient you can make them so that you get your most bang for your buck.

Have a plan before going in to prevent interminable ramblings and discussions that go nowhere.

Try to keep them less than 45 minutes long, or you'll lose the attendees attention. If they need to go longer, then consider scheduling a second one or including breaks to let everyone stretch out, relieve bladders and get some air. You'll come back more focused and better equipped to march on with the important projects.

Some people hide behind meetings rather than getting things done, so you have to be sure there is a very real reason for holding the meetings.

However, it is usually good to hold meetings, even if they are short (10 minutes or less), just to see that everyone is still on the same page. It's a great opportunity to network, ask for help on difficult points, and informally cover a lot of ground before and afterwards, as all the key players you may be looking for are there.

If you have a point that needs to be covered with a limited audience, it's better to hold them back after the meeting and speak just with them, rather than hold up the entire audience.

Make sure you've got somebody taking notes of any decisions that are made, so you can go back and refer to them...I tend to forget things the minute I stand up from my chair! :)

Most importantly, learn from what you are seeing others do now (good or bad) so you can use it to make your own meetings more effective in the future.

Just a few thoughts and tidbits I've gathered over several years of being stuck in them. And yes, most times you get out of meetings you feel as if you've just lost a few hours of your life you'll never get back again.

Just try to make sure that people don't leave the meetings you hold with the same feeling!

Adrir 08-31-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak (Post 7890)
...Lots of really clever stuff...

If only everyone else could follow that advice...I was pretty much braindead after the first couple of hours. I think packing three large meetings on a Friday is a bad idea lol.

yaustar 08-31-2008 02:28 PM

Actually, I would much prefer to have every meeting that involved me to be done on the same day as I would have the other 4 days completely free of meetings and get my programming tasks done.

As long as I knew ahead of time which day the meetings were held on, I would be more inclined to prepare for them mentally knowing that I wouldn't be programming for most (if any) of the day.