Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help me out? (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802)

Ender 10-11-2008 08:24 AM

Help me out?

Alright, so I want to go into video game development.
I'm really good with Maya, and I want to create characters and worlds and weapons and such, doing that. I am however not a very good artist on paper. I'm a senior in High School, and it's kinda late to get into art classes. Any advice? Also, what is the name of the position(s) I want to go in? What should I major in college?

Thank ya much.
- Ender

DockRock 10-11-2008 03:45 PM

hello...

I'm noticing a lot of students right out of High School seem to feel this way, I highly recommend you read this thread:

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forum...ead.php?t=1551

Adrir 10-11-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 9225)
Also, what is the name of the position(s) I want to go in?

I would check out the article "The Disciplines" on page 47 of this year's Game Career Guide Magazine. This article is freely available online and provides more information about various disciplines within the industry.

At a glance, it seems as though you would want a career as either a 3D Artist, an Animator or a Technical Artist; wherever your specific interest may take you. None the less, generalists are preferred so be sure to develop at least some skills in traditional art such as sketching.

Quote:

What should I major in college?

I would do some research into animation, 3d modelling, graphic design and traditional art courses at college.

Quote:

...I want to go into video game development.
I'm really good with Maya, and I want to create characters and worlds and weapons and such, doing that...Any advice?

Read Game Industry for Entry Level Artists: The Portfolio. Since you are already familiar with Maya, you may as well get a head start over the competition. I would also suggest volunteering your talent to a mod team in order to practice making models for games in addition to creating demonstratable material for your portfolio.

tripnfelt 10-12-2008 06:48 AM

Contrary to popular belief drawing is a learnt skill and not some magical ability people are born with. It requires a bit of practice but put the effort in and you will excel quickly. There are probably public afternoon life-drawing classes offered by a community group or school in your city, these are great for giving you different subjects and mediums to experiment with and are really great value.

The best resource for quickly learning many of the concepts behind drawing what you perceive is Dr. Betty Edward's "Drawing on the right side of the brain". It's been in print for 30 years so your local library should have a copy or 2, else I'm sure it would available online via bittorrent.

This gallery of students work before and after 5 days of Betty Edwards classes is pretty encouraging
. I've even heard the CIA use the book to train their operatives to think in different ways. I've used some of the techniques in the book in teaching developmental art to children (I'm not a teacher, it was a job I had at an afternoon-school for gifted children when I was in senior high) and although it's marketed as a beginners learn-to-draw book I regularly find the exercises beneficial to me. I'm not sure about the scientific brain function theories presented in it but it is by far the best instructional art book.

I'm pretty new to computer art and completely new to 3D modeling - I don't start classes in it until next year but have been messing around with it in preparation, but I've found that I'm utilizing my traditional or fine art skills a lot.

Deo 10-13-2008 06:00 AM

1) Ok first off hit up any mod group you can find in your area as the real thing in the industry is going to be your best tool as well as learning how to work in the pipe line.

2) Start practicing your traditional art skills asap and keep at it. This is one I see allot of 3d artiest neglect I did for a bit for my own skill set feeling my 3d was were it was at. A strong tradition skill medium will only better you in the long run when it comes to 3D. Look for simple drawing tutorials on line there every ware then slowlybiuld up to more advance drawing skills.

3) Connections / Connection / CONNECTIONS! Go out and meet ppl who have a common interest. Seek out game development chapters there are ones in every state and almost every major city. If you want to get into this industry you need to connect with ppl! One person told me in this industry its 25% who you know / 25% what you know / 50% luck

4) College: there are several colleges out there now that offer the degree in video game design and most of them have great reviews. What I would do for researching this is talk to the graduation students and the ones going there now. Talk to the program directors and look at the kind of classes they offer to make sure they are up to date with technology.

5) Where do you want to fall in the line of work? Well it sounds like 3D to me and as a fellow 3D artiest my self I recommend researching 3d as much as possible! A simple exsersize to keep your self nimble in 3d is pick up any random object and try to model it in a hour this will force your self to start seeing things in blocking design then going down into lower detail I do this as a warm up every week!

Ender 10-14-2008 11:49 AM

Correct Degree?

Is this the correct Degree I'd want?

http://documents.weber.edu/catalog/current/~dgb.htm

Adrir 10-14-2008 02:45 PM

That course is orientated towards CAD/CAM and drafting. It may make you an expert in ProEngineer or an equivilent CAD/CAM tool but doesn't strike me as providing any foundation in traditional art.