Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Writing (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Could I cut it as a game journalist? (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1929)

luk3r3r 11-20-2008 12:01 AM

Could I cut it as a game journalist?
 
I'm currently in year 11 and I'd really like to be a game journalist; I've been playing games since I was about 5, and still do today. I also read a lot of magazines and regularly visit gaming websites, so I am definately passionate about games!
One thing that's troubling me, however, is my English. I've always done well in the creative writing part (A/B), but in everything else I get straight Cs. I'm also not going to take English at college. These are my attained and predicted grades:
Attained
Core Science- A*
French- A*
Statistics- A
AS Level Critical Thinking- B

Predicted
Additional Science- A*
Maths- A*
Spanish- A*
English- C
Bus/Com- A
AiDA- A*
Humanities- B/C

Next year, I'm planning to go to college and study A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French, with a view to going on to university.
So, could I get into games journalism with an English C grade as long as I had a degree and practised my writing?

Adrir 11-20-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luk3r3r (Post 10296)
I'm currently in year 11 and I'd really like to be a game journalist; I've been playing games since I was about 5, and still do today. I also read a lot of magazines and regularly visit gaming websites, so I am definately passionate about games!

Awesome! Keep it up. I think your next move, if you are truely passionate about games and this is what you want to to, is to start writing your own game reviews and articles. I would reccomend setting up a personal blog page or try to get involved with an eMagazine or an online review website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luk3r3r (Post 10296)
One thing that's troubling me, however, is my English. I've always done well in the creative writing part (A/B), but in everything else I get straight Cs. I'm also not going to take English at college.

Why are you only getting C's? You should get in contact with your teacher to find out why you are not doing as well as your other subjects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luk3r3r (Post 10296)
These are my attained and predicted grades.

Kudos on the grades. You're doing a lot better than I did at this point in my GCSE's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luk3r3r (Post 10296)
Next year, I'm planning to go to college and study A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French, with a view to going on to university.

Personally, I think you should be taking English if you are planning to become a journalist. However, these subjects will give you a firm academic foundation for many fields.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luk3r3r (Post 10296)
So, could I get into games journalism with an English C grade as long as I had a degree and practised my writing?

It would be a distinct disadvantage if you were trying to get into a top university. Check out course pre-requisites on UCAS for more information. You should also get in contact with the careers advisor at your school.

Halo Girl 11-21-2008 11:54 AM

:( you clever people, you make me sad. :( I look stupid, compared to you..

Protector one 11-26-2008 05:24 AM

Maybe become a French or Spanish game journalist? What is your native language?

dmcclure 11-26-2008 08:11 AM

I would be tempted to take English and Media Studies at college if I was you, however if you do badly you might let yourself down when it comes to applying to university - having said that, I left college with poor A-level grades due to laziness and got a first at university when I worked hard, which I think proves hard work is probably the most important factor in success. Perhaps you should try and analyse why you have lower grades in English than your other subjects and see if it's possible to take steps to alter this?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.