Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other/Off-Topic (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   3 Games That Defined 2008 (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2050)

jillduffy 12-31-2008 09:24 AM

3 Games That Defined 2008

What three games defined the game industry this year?

EvilLlama 12-31-2008 01:22 PM

What exactly do you mean by 'defined'? Do you mean the games that are the most imitated, the games that altered what people thought about gaming, or the games with the highest ratings?

ronnoc10 12-31-2008 02:30 PM

If she wanted the games with the highest ratings, I do believe she would just look it up.

It's a hard question. So far, the only one I am sure on is Braid, because I think it, and World of Goo, are representative of indie games in 2008.

Zooch 12-31-2008 10:02 PM

I don't even know if I can answer this. I think of 1-2 games then think of 1-2 completely different games that re-shaped the industry in a new way in their own right.

This will definitely take some thought. :)

EvilLlama 01-01-2009 06:13 AM

I suppose Spore would be one, with the highlight feature being the Creature Creator for the vast variety of user generated content. Being able to create your own creature and have it automatically animate correctly no matter what you shaped the body into is a stroke of genius.

jillduffy 01-02-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilLlama (Post 11019)
What exactly do you mean by 'defined'?

By "defined," I mean that games that best represent what games meant or have come to mean in 2008.

For me, two devices are integral to defining the Year in Games 2008 -- Nintendo Wii and the iPhone -- but of course those are platforms and not games.

dzeligman 01-02-2009 10:43 AM

I will second Spore for the reasons mentioned above and its another triple A title focusing on user generated content, but also it had the most intense DRM requirements of any PC game, ever. That shows something about the industry in regards to what its attempting to do against piracy.

I will also second Braid in that it shows how a indie game can become relatively mainstream and profitable in today's market.

Now for the third I'm rather unsure of one specific game to pick. This was probably the year that really shows the future of the Triple A titles in that companies are desperate to find a solid franchise in the recession. So I think a game like GTA 4 shows a solid game that is built upon an old franchise and will probably continue to exist for many years.

Zooch 01-02-2009 12:31 PM

I don't really want to say this, but I'm not sure you can get away with a top 3 defining games list and not have World of Warcraft on it. I lost count of how many records it broke this year (which were previously held by Blizzard anyways).

I was involved in the alpha and beta testing, and they aced the entire development process. Alpha was fun. I was trying to hunt for bugs - not have fun - but it still got to me. Beta testing was basically the real game with some lag. There was hardly any serious hang-ups. They set a deadline and met it as well. I don't think I even have to mention the staggering 11.5 million accounts (but I will).

All in all, Blizzard executed the release of Wrath of the Lich King perfectly (or near-perfect).

Cod 01-02-2009 04:19 PM

In no particular order: Spore, Little Big Planet, Sports Games

Spore and Little Big Planet started a revolution in my opinion. Those 2 games are cause for more and more games to allow more user generated content as well as being able to share that content at the push of a button (and an internet connection). On the negative side, but still defining of 2008, Spore's use of the DRM technology. We all have read the reports, reviews, etc. of the absolute outrage of gamers around the globe over DRM technology. As piracy goes, "DRM-like" software will continue to be developed, much to the displeasure of the honest gamer.

Lastly, I chose 2008 Sports Games because of the online features implemented. Two NBA games came out with "Living Rosters" and "Player DNA" that gave more of a SIM feel to the games and allowed people to constantly be playing an updated game. The fact that 2k Sports and EA Sports is able to accomplish this is definitely a feat that sports gamers should be proud of. Also, most of the sports games released in 2008 had online "team-up" features that allowed players from all over the globe to join on a team. The best implementation of this feature goes to EA Sports' NHL 09. That game allowed 5 people from anywhere to join a team and play another 5 people from anywhere in a fast-paced, lag free hockey game. Playing online when all the players are user controlled makes the expierence far more enjoyable as you cannot 100% predict what humans will do in every situation.

Bottom line, 2008 had many defining moments that I didn't mention; however, the 3 mentioned above are my personal opinion.

Mariol 01-05-2009 03:02 AM

I'd have to say LBP, Fable 2 and Spore.