Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other/Off-Topic (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What else do you want to know? (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2340)

Mariol 03-25-2009 04:04 AM

What else do you want to know?

To all aspiring games developers.

I'm trying to gather information about what information beginner and more experienced aspiring games developers would like to know about while on their journey to gaining their dream career in the games industry.

If you can help please can you include the following info:

Desired job:
What information you would like to know more about:
Which games industry news sites/magazines do you frequently read:

I'd appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks, and good luck!

yaustar 03-25-2009 04:57 AM

Is this only for aspiring or the ones that are already in?

Mariol 03-25-2009 07:34 AM

So sorry, the ones that are already in games jobs as well.

Adrir 03-25-2009 09:47 AM

Desired Jobs: Game Designer (Technical)

Personally, I think I've got a lot of my bases already covered. Most things can also be found with a little research. However, in general, I would like to see more up to date coverage on:
  • Junior positions in games design (what are they and where can they be found?)
  • Skills, CVs & Portfolios for game designers (most portfolio guides tend to focus on artists and programmers - Tom Sloper's website is great but alot of the sections on education are a little outdated and cliche)
  • How to get started as a programmer (there are so many questions about this - it would be nice if we had more sources to refer to)
  • How to get started as a designer (again, so many questions - need more sources to illustrate different paths and how paths have evolved since the birth of the industry)
  • Conferences, Competitions & Events (when, where, how, relevent - there are a lot more than just GDC and the Global Game Jam)
  • Collaborative Projects (i think there needs to be more communication about opportunities to work on projects rather than simple post-mortems all the time)
  • Literature Reviews (because they're really useful)
Websites: GameCareerGuide.com, Gamasutra.com, GameDev.net, AIGameDev.com, GamePolitics.com, bit-tech.net
Mailing Lists: IGDA Student Action, IGDA Education, IGDA AI, IGDA London, Develop Daily, MCV Newsflash
Magazines: Game Career Guide, Game Developer Magazine, Develop Magazine

marktwin 04-23-2011 04:38 AM

Hi Guys,,,,
This question has become my biggest pet peeve with online dating. I'm not one to let much annoy me but this is not an isolated incident. It comes up time and time again. Here's how the scenario usually plays out. I get contacted by a man who says, he likes my picture and profile and would like to get to know me. Okay, so far so good. I'm willing to give it a go, if I'm anywhere from somewhat attracted to attracted. You never know. I usually reply with, 'thanks for the note, I'd like to get to know you too. :(

EvilLlama 04-23-2011 04:47 PM

Desired job:
Game Artist

-contests and competitions
-art tests
-specialized positions for artists in the games industry & advice on focusing portfolio
-specialized positions for designers in the games industry
-how to make a smooth transition from one job/company to another without damaging relationships with old employer
-advice for finding people to work on a game once graduated from college
-ways a unique art style has defined/impacted the game experience
-The scary business stuff: networking, marketing, starting a business, figuring out how to divide pay/benefits,etc

Which games industry news sites/magazines do you frequently read:
www.gamasutra.com, www.gamecareerguide.com, www.idga.org, www.twitter.com(follow game industry professionals)

tsloper 04-23-2011 05:56 PM

It's a two-year-old thread, bumped by a spammer.