Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Programming (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Guys, little suggestions (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2534)

radibioinfo 05-30-2009 10:15 PM

Guys, little suggestions

Hai,

I am currently working in a software firm in India and looking for switching to game industry as a programmer. I am looking for courses and have come accross:
1. University of Abertay Dundee (MSc), UK
2. Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) (Advanced Diploma of Professional Game Development), Australia

What do you think of these, any personal suggestions?

Most other universities provide 4 year courses, may be there are better courses which you guys can suggest.

Regards,
Radix

yaustar 05-31-2009 05:32 AM

Abertay Dundee and Hull both have MScs that are both spoken of highly. As long as you looking at MScs, it should only take a year.

radibioinfo 05-31-2009 05:54 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaustar (Post 14120)
Abertay Dundee and Hull both have MScs that are both spoken of highly. As long as you looking at MScs, it should only take a year.

will studying MSc course with no game programming skill be a problem? or is programming knowledge enough (C++, etc)?

Adrir 05-31-2009 07:07 AM

From the Abertay Dundee prospectus:

Entrance Requirements
Applicants should have a minimum of a lower second class Honours degree that includes a substantial element of computer programming and have a reasonable background in Mathematics.

radibioinfo 05-31-2009 07:46 AM

I don't know if its a problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrir (Post 14125)
From the Abertay Dundee prospectus:

Entrance Requirements
Applicants should have a minimum of a lower second class Honours degree that includes a substantial element of computer programming and have a reasonable background in Mathematics.

I have a degree in Biotechnology(B.Tech) and 2 years industry experience dealing with programming(C++, Mainframes, Web, etc). Can I still join MSc? If not then AIE would be my only option.

yaustar 05-31-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radibioinfo (Post 14126)
I have a degree in Biotechnology(B.Tech) and 2 years industry experience dealing with programming(C++, Mainframes, Web, etc). Can I still join MSc? If not then AIE would be my only option.

Probably, it be up to the University's discretion.

radibioinfo 05-31-2009 09:21 AM

Ok... AIE?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaustar (Post 14127)
Probably, it be up to the University's discretion.

Ok. Anyone any suggestions about AIE, Austarlia for game programming (2 Years)?

yaustar 05-31-2009 10:14 AM

I can't comment on any courses outside the UK. If in doubt, contact them.

radibioinfo 06-01-2009 11:09 AM

Electronic Game - Design

Anyone have any idea about Electronic Game - Design at NBCC, Miramichi?
Regards
Radeesh

Ezion 06-02-2009 04:17 PM

Are you looking for all game programming colleges, or just ones in Europe/Asia/Australia? There's several programs here in the U.S. that are well respected in the Game Dev Industry.