Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Programming (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Critique this resume! (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2542)

lougv22 06-03-2009 10:56 AM

Critique this resume!

Hi Game professionals,

I've built my resume and would very much appreciate some feedback. Please do not try to spare my feelings, be brutally honest to your heart's content. In short, I have 2 years of game development experience (one released title) plus B.S. in Computer Science and am now looking for a new job (yes, in this economy), preferably as a Game Programmer.

I have been applying for jobs for about 2 months now and so far have only had one phone interview and a couple of follow-up requests for more information (such as filling out questionnaires). In other words, a very lukewarm response from game companies. I am blaming it on the poor economy (we all have our excuses) and perhaps my resume and cover letters.

So this is the old resume I had been using up until now, the one that didn't yield good results. I have recently created a brand new resume, over here, which is one page long, compared to the 3 pages length of the old one, and much more streamlined and focused on the skills that I think are relevant to my target position of Game Programmer.

I included both old and the new resume so you can see for your self what I've cut out. Perhaps some of the stuff I took out really needs to be in the new resume as well.

So what do you guys think? Be brutally honest, give me any and all constructive criticism you think might improve my (new) resume.

Thanks.

ScHiZo 06-03-2009 02:47 PM

Hey lougv22,

You're sorta in the same boat as me w/ 2 years of game programming experience, but I had 2 released titles :D I probably shouldn't be helping you because you're my competition, but I enjoy helping people too much to resist. Anyways, your shortened resume is a step in the right direction (I always hear keep your resume on 1 page at GDC '09). I believe someone mentioned in these forums somewhere that a summary is now the in thing to do instead of an objective (found the thread: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forum...ead.php?t=2456). You could also use a gameography section instead of embedding the titles within the company, so it stands out more. A reference section would be nice to have as well (maybe put upon request if you want to keep it private). If you can't fit all this, use a smaller font (that's what they tell me at GDC '09). The format of your resume could use some work too because it looks like a big wall of text at first glance (maybe seperation of the different sections in one column and your data in another).

I see that you started in IT before making the transition, which I can relate to. It's definitely a hard time right now to find a job in the games industry because of the economy. I've been looking for about 8 or 9 months and I've gone through a similar experience as you, but with only a handful of phone interviews. From my experience so far, it seems that game studios are mostly looking for senior programmers because they're either at the start of their projects or the end. They need someone that can jump right in and do stuff w/o any mentoring, which is understandable. I suggest that you keep yourself busy by working in the indie or mod scene while things pick up again in the games industry. There's a couple of positions popping up here and there, which fit us junior/mid level candidates, so I believe it's going to get better (I'm a pretty optimistic guy though :)). Goodluck with your job search!

yaustar 06-03-2009 02:59 PM

Remove the objective, it is pretty obvious what you want to do when it says "Game Programmer" as your main title.

I am surprised you don't have a skills section listing the languages you know and the tools you mainly are familiar with.

In your portfolio, more information on what you did in each game would be nice.

You game review cover shots under Game stuff are stretched incorrectly.

Mariol 06-05-2009 12:27 AM

While I'm not a professional I think a separate Skills section before your work experience that states the tools, software, scripts/languages etc you have experience using will make it much easier for employers to see your skills straight away instead of having them nested in your Experience section.

I would also advise you change your Objective line into a summary statement e.g. a game programmer with 2 years experience in the industry and 2 published titles. Highly experienced in gameplay and GUI programming (or whatever).

As Yaustar stated the words ‘Game Programmer’ after your personal details sort of suggests you are looking for a game programming job so remove the objective line or those words.

I would also include a small section for references at the end, even if you only state ‘Available on request’ this is better than nothing.

Oh and you've spelt Languages as 'Langauges'

lougv22 06-05-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariol (Post 14206)
While I'm not a professional I think a separate Skills section before your work experience that states the tools, software, scripts/languages etc you have experience using will make it much easier for employers to see your skills straight away instead of having them nested in your Experience section.

I would also advise you change your Objective line into a summary statement e.g. a game programmer with 2 years experience in the industry and 2 published titles. Highly experienced in gameplay and GUI programming (or whatever).

As Yaustar stated the words ‘Game Programmer’ after your personal details sort of suggests you are looking for a game programming job so remove the objective line or those words.

I would also include a small section for references at the end, even if you only state ‘Available on request’ this is better than nothing.

Oh and you've spelt Languages as 'Langauges'

Hmm, weird that MS Word's spell check didn't catch that. Good eye there. Thx.

The Tools/Languages/Skills section has been a high point of contention. I have been advised by a hiring manager to get rid of it. As you'll notice I used to have such a section in my old resume and it didn't bring me good results (of course there is no telling what the reason was, much less if it was due to the presence of a Tools/Languages section, but still...one wonders).

Long story short, I am willing to leave it out for now and see what happens.

Lil Theo 06-06-2009 09:57 AM

You live on Oklahoma -- right on man.

I'm in OKC. OU is a really sweet school man -- if you learn anything from living in Oklahoma, it's that OU is the place to be.

lougv22 06-23-2009 05:25 PM

OK, so this is the resume I am going with right now:

http://louvassilev.awardspace.com/re...Web_Resume.doc

I decided to go with Times New Roman 11 for the main content and 14 for the headers. That gave me more space to work with. I am going to apply for a few jobs with this one and see how it goes. Thanks to all who gave me feedback and advice. If you have more though, don't hesitate to throw it at me. This is by no means a final version (of my resume, that is).