Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Resume and Portfolio Critique Wanted (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4870)

Diaphero 05-08-2011 03:31 AM

Resume and Portfolio Critique Wanted

Hey everyone! I am just getting ready to send out my resume to a bunch of different game companies. But before I do, I would like your input on if there are ways I can improve it! Let me know what you think.

Thanks in Advance!

Jesse Carpenter
CG Artist

Portfolio: jessecarpenter.carbonmade.com

Resume: Here is Pg 1:

And here is Pg 2

yaustar 05-08-2011 03:32 PM

I am 50/50 about the resume as its appeal will greatly depend on who is looking at it. Me, I quite like it. For some in HR or a recruiter, they may dismiss it as it isn't something that is easily readable.

The work in the Portfolio is really good though. Missing a link to your resume though.

nightblue 05-09-2011 12:33 PM

I was once advised to never rate how proficient you are on each software. Since all of us rank things slightly differently, those numbers (1= novice and 10= master) do not provide much information at all, other than possibly inspiring second-thoughts like "oh, but his UDK skill isn't as good." Just list your softwares and leave them be.

You are taking a risk here and readability might be an issue. You may want to consider attaching a more plain and informative copy of your resume as well, at the end of this resume.

Another minor comment about your portfolio site - your "portfolio" button graphic looks like the header of the website. When I tried to click on your portfolio I ended up clicking the hand-drawn image banner under it, which took me to "a deeper look" - obviously not intended for first-impression. Consider putting your text on the graphic for your buttons.

Lastly, consider replacing the checkerboard shot after your first render with just a wireframe + poly count. I understand that you may be using textures of different sizes, but at first glance I think of "stretched textures, uneven UV distribution, different pixel density - what's up with this?" Instead of providing any information that sells your piece, this shot may inspire a sliver of doubt, and you could do better without it.

Good work and good luck!

LMP 05-12-2011 03:14 PM

Interesting... Your resume as a piece of graphic and UI design looks cool, but, for actual use I would go with something more clean, readable, and professional.

Now onto your artwork.

You need to focus your portfolio. Your 3 environments at the beginning of your portfolio look good, but I wish I could see them larger, and that there were breakdowns somewhere other than in your reel.

MiamiLawyer 10-02-2011 04:29 AM

I think it looks pretty darn creative, Jesse!

SamJenks 10-03-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightblue (Post 24630)
You are taking a risk here and readability might be an issue. You may want to consider attaching a more plain and informative copy of your resume as well, at the end of this resume.

I think this is spot on.

You want to creatively/visually express your talents, Jesse, to layer the presentation; but, its likely to get passed around and I think you'll want to cater to several sets of people.

Terry2361 10-07-2011 03:04 PM

Feedback

I really like your work and think that you will just keep getting better. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.