Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Writing (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Balancing full time job and games journalism (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5498)

Amanaman 10-31-2011 03:21 PM

Balancing full time job and games journalism

I've been trying to get into the games journalism industry for the past few years now. As a result, I've written for a few websites voluntarily but after graduating from studying journalism at university I needed to get a full time paid job. Since I was struggling to find any paid opportunities in this field, I'm now in an unrelated job doing web administration work.

At the same time I'm still trying to maintain my passion of getting my foot in the door of games journalism . I feel like I'm in a good position, as I now write for a site run by previous editors of a well known games magazine. I also recently got invited to a game studio where I got to preview a game before release and interview the developer whom I'm a great fan of, which was a major achievement for me. Trouble is it's still all unpaid work and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to focus on writing after being at work all day to the point I get bad writers block and sometimes end up submitting reviews late as a result which is incredibly frustrating and dents my confidence a bit.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I'm hoping the site I write for eventually grows into a paid position once they become more well known, though I had the same hope for the previous site I wrote for after 2 years.

SherryMaco32 11-03-2011 08:57 PM

Re: Balancing full time job and games journalism

This is a common dilemma of youth. On the one hand you need money, on the other you want to do what you love. Eventually most abandon their work of love in order to have any sort of life-style. My advice is give yourself a certain amount time to get what you want. Then give your all to it. I mean you be willing to do whatever it takes. At the end of your time limit you either got what you wanted or you didn't. How long you set for yourself depends on how resourceful you can be with money.
Also make a detailed plan of who you need to know, what you need to do, and how to do it. This part is crucial. Take time to investigate what others had to do to be successful. You need to plan with the same detail as those writing the games. Crappy game, crappy results.
Hope this helps.

jqueeng02 11-10-2011 06:38 PM

I understand your dilemma. What you can do is to start saving now so you can do whatever you want in the future....

ebuk 11-11-2011 10:08 PM

hey man, just be dynamic and something would pull through.

teevee 11-26-2011 07:00 PM

It sounds like you are doing pretty good for yourself thus far. I believe what you are doing now is actually quite great. It takes time; things will definitely look up sooner than later because you are doing everything you can to make it come to fruition.

davidpgrossman 11-28-2011 09:15 AM

Start your own blog as well on the side. That way you are creating an asset you own and can monetize. Use the traffic from the other sites to get your name out there and drive traffic to your own blog.