Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Writing (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Game Creation: Dialogue, battle system, maps and more . . . (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55)

Darkroomdanny 05-26-2007 10:08 AM

Game Creation: Dialogue, battle system, maps and more . . .

I've been working on an rpg game idea and have been creating detailed work regarding character profiles, abilities, the plot, script (dialogue), battle system, maps, items, quest information etc.

From what I am reading games companies do not accept unsolicited game ideas so as to not cause issues with games already being developed. I have found this to be true with the television script work I am involved in. Is there another way to approach games companies other than working for them to get my ideas looked at? I feel very passionality about the work I am producing and enjoy creating it but I would like to feel that the finished product can be seen.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

disneyprincess20 05-31-2007 04:05 AM

Could it be that this game you've created will have to be your "baby" for a few years before you can pitch it anywhere? If it's something you really want to do, cherish and nuture the idea, but also do other things - these can provide new perspectives on your game and help you revise it. You mentioned writing for television, so this must give you some idea of how it works. It might be you have to develop a relationship with a games developer first.

My suggestion would be keep the idea in your head and focus on getting a foot in the door writing other things such as television and other games. They may not be as interesting to you, but showing games developers what you can do is essential. Once you have something established with a developer, mention the idea in passing, and see what they say. It can only grow from there.

I know I don't have much experience in this area, but I hope this helps :)

Thumper_34 05-31-2007 07:02 AM

I agree whole heartedly, writing other things and experiencing life in general will help you create better games and stories. For what is life but a story?

HagNasty 05-31-2007 10:23 AM

There is another option though. It will consider alot more work but it is there. You could pitch the idea to a publisher and see if they will pick it up. If they do you could get funding and then hire a small studio to create it for you.

Short of releasing the game independently be prepared for that baby of yours to be butchered. Publishers, Studios and the like tend to have their own ideas on what will sell and feel they should adapt that way. sometimes it goes over your head and it's this way or no more funding.

My sugestion is love the idea but be detached.

CKeene 06-29-2007 06:46 PM

Agreed. You have to be prepared for the slaughter-house, and you have to possibly accept the cruel fact that people aren't going to see what you see. You may have a wonderful idea, but it's such a slim market for getting things into the gaming industry. Aside from the fact that it costs less to take ideas from the inside, it's also less of a liability. And perhaps one of the most important reasons is that many ideas are collaborative efforts, especially in smaller studios. Lots of minds will come together to hone in on one particular idea out of hundreds of ideas that are brought to the table, and when this is the case, you have more people who feel like they've had a part in the idea and thus feel passionate about it. When you get an idea from the outside, people might like it, but they feel like they've had nothing to do with its origin.

I would again recommend submitting to a publisher rather than a developer. If a publisher decides they like the idea, they can fund it and get someone to work on it. If a developer likes the idea, they have to get the publisher's approval and proper funding, get the team on board, etc. That's if they aren't working on something else which they most likely will be, and if they are receptive to unsolicited material which they most likely won't be. IF you submit to a developer, I recommend submitting only to those who have an open position for a Writer. Yes, there are a few out there that do hire writers specifically, and they might be far more receptive to possible freelance work for that project, or you might just get a job out of it, and then even if you're not working on your ideas right off the bat, you have a far better chance of getting your ideas seen.

One more option is to get your ideas into a visual format. Try and get together a team of amateur designers to make a demo using your materials. Game development students are great for this because they will be getting team experience for their portfolio, and you'll be getting a team to bring your ideas to life. Why bother with this? The truth is that anyone you contact in the industry is going to be busy. Usually too busy to read through pages and pages of material, no matter how great it is. So if you make a demo out of said material, it's much easier to access in a much smaller timeframe, and it's also quite impressive for your future developer to see what they might be working with, and to get the idea that you're really serious about your ideas.

If in the end you do all of this and still no one bites, don't consider it a faikure. You've turned your ideas into a running game! And that's worth a lot to the industry. You can take that demo and then present it to the same developers you tried to sell the idea to originally and then try and get a job, and you'll be much more likely to land inside, and from there, as I said, it's a great deal easier to get your ideas heard, especially if you're working on the design team.

sinofhearts 10-11-2007 01:21 PM

divide and conquer

Well, since you've worked it out, the scripts, the drawings and all, why not use them separately. Giving the game idea to someone as a whole is soliciting, I suppose, but if you're looking for a job, why not use the separate parts as pieces of work? If you're aiming to be a concept artist, then why not turn in your art, same goes for animation or what not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you to divide everything up and forget your game. I'm saying to use what pieces you have as a means to get up in the tree, and when you're up high enough, I don't see why you can't put your pieces back together and try to make a masterpiece.

Crastin 12-01-2007 11:25 PM

design

I think every writer/designer has their "baby" project, this brings up an interesting question though. As a game designer exactly how much power do we have to say this stays and this goes?

yaustar 12-02-2007 07:45 AM

More then those that rank is below you, less then those that are above. E.g. (A VERY general example) You are a lead designer, you have more power over junior designers but less then Producers.

Crastin 12-02-2007 02:16 PM

producers

But the producer job description on all the postings is described as time maintenance and to make sure all tasks are complete. Then it just goes on to reword the same sentence differently many more times, so how does that dictate creativity aside from the obvious restrictions of time available?

yaustar 12-03-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crastin (Post 2067)
But the producer job description on all the postings is described as time maintenance and to make sure all tasks are complete. Then it just goes on to reword the same sentence differently many more times, so how does that dictate creativity aside from the obvious restrictions of time available?

That's the biggest one, their role as you have said is to make sure that the game hits the milestones on time. If it means cutting out features that are 'less important' even though the designer wants to keep it, then so be it. You will find that most features are cut because of time.