Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other/Off-Topic (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Networking follow up...months later (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5657)

EvilLlama 12-31-2011 05:18 PM

Networking follow up...months later

So I'm a really shy person. :o

I attended SIGGRAPH over the summer and met some really interesting people. I sent out follow up emails to most. I kept in touch with about two of them.

Networking fail.

There are two people in particular that I wanted to keep in touch with, but they're really advanced in their careers and I couldn't think of anything to say that didn't sound annoying noobish. Kept using the "I'll do it first thing tomorrow" excuse and now it's 3-4 months later.

So my questions are:
1)Is there any drawback in trying to reestablish that connection now?
2)How frequently should you touch base with people you meet at conferences?
3)A lot of networking sites suggest to follow up with something useful, but how could I as student provide anything useful to a Creative Director?

Searched online for advice, but most of it is geared for people applying for jobs or are businesses. In the future I'll want a job, but I still have 3 semesters of school left to go, so right now I just want to stay in contact.

tsloper 12-31-2011 10:42 PM

Re: Networking follow up...months later

1. No, there's no drawback. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. "You may not remember meeting me at SIGGRAPH but I just wanted to say hi. Will be graduating in [month] [year] and will be stepping up the netwoking. I enjoyed meeting you and hope to run into you again..."
2. One time. Maybe two. More than that is only OK if they write back.
3. Maybe you can't, or maybe you can say "hey did you see this YouTube video about the guy who wants to become a world-famous designer" and include the link. Or share an industry news tidbit he might not have heard about. Or just say "wow, how about Zynga going IPO, must be nice, huh?"* and share an article link.

*(Already outdated news item by way of example)

EvilLlama 01-01-2012 07:00 PM

Emails have been sent. Thanks so much for the advice.

tsloper 01-01-2012 08:58 PM

YVW

[and some more characters to meet required minimum char count]

tomsmm 07-28-2012 05:29 PM

There is no drawback to reestablish connections with people you have made contact with at conferences etc but you shouldn't wait too long. Make sure when you do so your spelling an punctuation is perfect in all correspondence. If you are trying to network with someone who is above you 2 or 3 rings on the ladder it is even better to mail a real thank you card with a specific reference to something you learned from them during your conversation.

Even better, if the person is within a reasonable travelling distance to you call or email them and offer/invite them out to lunch which you pay for of course. Since you are still in school see if there is a possibility to intern for them as well. Good Luck!