Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need some crit/advice for portfolio please (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5755)

3dcaspar 02-17-2012 12:43 AM

Need some crit/advice for portfolio please

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, so first of all my name is Caspar and i live in Munich. I just finished the University (SAE-Institute, BA of Interactive Animation) and i'm still waiting for the last grades.

My goal is to work as an Environment artist in the games industry.
So i set up a portfolio and now i really need critique! ;)
Due to the fact that i have no real experience in the professional games industry i could really need some advice in order to improve my art in the portfolio...
(only experience is: two student projects / one indie game project (www.stillalive-studios.com) as lead artist)

so what do you think of my portfolio?

http://shownd.com/3dcaspar

Thanks a lot in advance!

nightblue 02-19-2012 07:35 PM

Re: Need some crit/advice for portfolio please

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your work! I've been an environment artist for 2+ years and here are my honest 2-cents.

My first feedback is your portfolio pieces are of a wide range of qualities. This is common among students and new professionals because they are going through a "growth spurt" skill-wise, but it's not the best way to sell your portfolio. Most people agree that you should only put in your strong pieces and leave out the ones that are "meh". It is far better for art directors to contact you and ask if you have any more work to show than for them to turn away upon seeing your worst piece.

Your best piece in the portfolio is the gun. If you have some time, I would suggest really touching up the gun and improve poly efficiency. There are way too many cuts on the box that's on the gun's side/rear, and maybe a few too many on the front armor plate. Rule of the thumb for game modeling is to ask yourself if each polygon and each cut has a reason to be there. I would suggest either polish the texture a lot and try to make it seem clear (look online for how pro's present their textures,) and show the texture in a much bigger format, or just omit the texture altogether.

I recommend removing the following pieces: the swamp wooden bridge/dock, the fort, and the medieval weapons. In their stead, consider creating a set of environment props (tables+ chairs, houses, whatever... 2-3 pieces that go together.) You need to think about reusing texture space as well. If you are building stairs (like the fort,) do not map out each step. The more efficient and professional way is to create 2-3 variations of the steps and use them over and over again. Things like that.

I hope this makes sense somewhat. I highly recommend hitting up sites like polycount.org and ask for feedback on your work. Please feel free to message me if you'd like additional help.

-Grace

3dcaspar 02-23-2012 06:04 AM

Hi nighblue,

thanks a lot! your comment was really clear and i understood the critique. this really helped a lot! ;)

i'm currently working on a more environmental scene, i post my previews here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94912

would be nice to hear some critique about that from you ^^

i made the gun about 1.5 years ago during my middle time at school.. the thing is, that i only have these render pics left and the model took its way into nirvana :S

But as i already said, im working on more effecient and useable props/assets, that focuse more on environmental work.

thank you very much so far! your advices are very helpful!

3dcaspar

nightblue 03-02-2012 06:51 AM

Nice work, and I can see that you are already getting some great feedback :) Now, I don't really know exactly how cry engine works. In many engines, though, it's better to have the textures on separate sheets, especially if you are making tiling textures for the wood plank (which you should.) for planks, you can also actually model out a few of those. A common practice is to model and texture 2 - 3 versions of a individual plank, use them over and over again, and stagger/scale/mirror them whatnot. Make sure you break the silhouette to both add interest and give a better sense of how things are built, kind of like in this reference picture: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ng-d2y4yli.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Destin Bales 03-03-2012 12:36 PM

I'd just like to reiterate what nightblue said here:

Quote:

Most people agree that you should only put in your strong pieces and leave out the ones that are "meh". It is far better for art directors to contact you and ask if you have any more work to show than for them to turn away upon seeing your worst piece.
This is golden rule for art portfolios.

Good luck!

3dcaspar 03-04-2012 01:49 AM

Thanks both of you ^^
@nightblue: i know what you mean,.. i always wanted to have it as lowpoly as possible, thats why i just made a box for the wooden floor. But you're right, there is definitely a lack of shape!

Hope i can do an update soon, thanks for your advices!

3dcaspar 07-05-2012 02:42 AM

Hi everyone.
Finally my Bachelor Degree arrived and now i'm finished with school.
So in the last few weeks i set up a new portfolio page and invested some money into an own domain. I also remade every scene and now i could need some advice from you guys

Here's the page: http://3dcaspar.com

Critique on anything you want!

Do you think i'm ready for an internship within the games industry?
Or should i add more work to it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

nightblue 07-11-2012 07:29 AM

Your portfolio looks much better! You should by all means look for an internship/entry-level art position.

For future reference, or if you have time to change a thing or two: There are a few perfectly horizontal lines in the medieval village, most notably on top of the roof and the horizontal bars of handrails. Consider rotating these elements ever-so-slightly to make things a bit more lively. Also, the normal-mapping on the stucco texture looks a bit much. Consider tuning it down, so your eyes have a resting spot.

Another minor thing is, if you are applying for environment modeling your daylight shots of the village works better in showing your art. Consider moving these images in front of the night + rainy shots - which are cool but it's hard to see the assets in them.

Good luck on your exciting adventure and grats on graduation! :)

3dcaspar 07-14-2012 11:29 PM

Hey nightblue,
Thanks a lot for the feedback and kind words!
Since i have already applied for an internship, the changes wouldn't be in time ^^
But i will definitely consider your feedback in future projects!

Again, thanks for your time! :D

robben56 10-27-2012 11:57 AM

HiYour portfolio looks better!