Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Design (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Transitioning from Casino job (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5796)

heyheysg 03-20-2012 04:50 AM

Transitioning from Casino job
 
Hi,

I am currently in between jobs, my first being a QA at one of the big publishers, I'm looking to move into Design as my company doesn't really offer a path into Design.

I was wondering if I should work on my portfolio or take up a potential job at a Casino if I cannot find a industry job? Does the 'Gaming' aspect of it help me in anyway?

I've got enough cash to last 3 months, after which I'll have to get a normal non video game job asap.

tsloper 03-20-2012 05:26 AM

Re: Transitioning from Casino job
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by heyheysg (Post 28117)
1. I was wondering if I should work on my portfolio or take up a potential job at a Casino if I cannot find a industry job?

2. Does the 'Gaming' aspect of it help me in anyway?

1. PORTFOLIO.

2. NO!

heyheysg 03-20-2012 05:40 AM

Re: Transitioning from Casino job
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsloper (Post 28118)
1. PORTFOLIO.

2. NO!

Hello again Mr Sloper, thanks for the quick reply, I'll keep expanding my portfolio, next stop is UDK and the Skyrim creation kit.

I guess a normal job would be good for the money aspect while I work on my stuff?

tsloper 03-20-2012 06:56 AM

Re: Transitioning from Casino job
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by heyheysg (Post 28119)
I guess a normal job would be good for the money aspect while I work on my stuff?

Yes. A casino job is okay for a "normal job." My point was that it is not an added plus.

Who knows, you might wind up working for a company that makes gambling games or card games and your casino job could then be seen as a plus.

heyheysg 03-21-2012 05:20 AM

Re: Transitioning from Casino job
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsloper (Post 28120)
Yes. A casino job is okay for a "normal job." My point was that it is not an added plus.

Who knows, you might wind up working for a company that makes gambling games or card games and your casino job could then be seen as a plus.

Thanks again, it's been tough getting a job currently, I'll keep trying


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.