Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Started (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starting a Career (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5961)

Hammertime 07-22-2012 12:34 PM

Starting a Career

ive had alot trouble with this. so here the deal

i love video games always have, typical story..
Question is can i make my love a job? ive never done any programming other then Apples Hypercard which is anyone knows its ancient. i need to go to school and all that but most go with knowing something of it..

you have any pointers is there a school maybe tailor those who dont have acknowledge yet? i hate pay all the money of digipen or Art intatute then just fail at it i like drawing as well but not done tons of it.

i also afriad of getting smoked by tons of prodigy kids lol im Epileptic and learn a bit slower then most (video games dont cause my siezure btw so no danger)

Hammertime 07-22-2012 03:32 PM

Re: Starting a Career

Another question eventully id love to be make to make my own game be in charge of what goes it in and what its about.... what path would be best for that?

tsloper 07-22-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime (Post 28629)
1. is there a school maybe tailor those who dont have acknowledge yet?
2. i hate pay all the money of digipen or Art intatute
3. i also afriad of getting smoked by tons of prodigy kids lol
4. im Epileptic and learn a bit slower then most
5. eventully id love to be make to make my own game be in charge of what goes it in and what its about.... what path would be best for that?

1. Why not start with community college, get transferable credits, then go to a state school?
2. You shouldn't do it, then! You don't need to go to one of those schools.
3. What else are you afraid of? Are you going to let your fears stop you from doing what you enjoy?
4. I was wondering if English was your native language.
5. To make your own game and be in charge of it means being a businessman.

I have a lot of articles on my site (see my signature below). The articles may answer a lot of your questions.

Hammertime 07-22-2012 06:51 PM

lol yes i am native to america lol. im assuming that was a shot at my spelling/grammar lol. understandable i know its not perfect but anyway

do you think those schools are not worth it? what would be a good school for it then? ive done some comm college but not alot.

ill check out your links thanks for the feedback cant afford to keep waiting holding myself back so i def want to do something with while TBH alot people have told me i coudlnt cuz of my siezures and i wanna prove them wrong lol.

i do struggle with math alot even basic stuff so i guess thats what scared me the most since i know programming is like.... #1 with math. and no im not goign to let hold me back anymore.

tsloper 07-22-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime (Post 28632)
1. my spelling/grammar lol. understandable i know its not perfect but anyway
2. do you think those schools are not worth it? what would be a good school for it then?
3. ill check out your links
4. i guess thats what scared me the most since i know programming is like.... #1 with math.

1. This can be a serious problem for a game career. You should work to improve your writing.
2. Read my FAQs - at my site, click the yellow box. Read article 44.
3. You need to choose a career path, start researching schools, and make a decision. Read FAQs 7, 34, and 25.
4. There are other jobs besides programmer.