Old 04-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
No, that's not necessarily true. Systems with the ability to learn can become 'smarter' (strictly regarding a specific domain, usually) than their creators.
Heck, they don't even need to be able to learn. They just have to be more efficient in some way. Calculators can perform calculations faster than their creators can. (Cheap example, but a good one! :P)
I'm not sure about the calculator thing... Aren't the numbers programmed into the calculator? Plus, computers don't understand the concept or existance of a number, it just displays something. Kind of like if you writer 2+2 on a paper, and cover the answer up with another piece of paper and as if there was a set list for equations. Plus, if I remember correctly, a computer can't learn anything outside of programming, though, perhaps there might be a way to do so, then again, I could be wrong. Anyhow, if you were to go up to a robot that didn't know how to jump and tried to jump in front of it so that it could possibly try it's self, chances are that the robot is never going to learn even by analyzing you.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote