Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Even if the numbers were just pre-programmed (which they're not), you could see this as a form of intelligence.
Thinking about this example reminds me of the discussion around Searle's Chinese Room. Again, the notion of intelligence and thinking is very subjective; this is something that becomes painfully clear when a group of people are confronted by Searle's Chinese Room.
(For the record, I think the 'system as a whole'—that is: the room, the man, the input, the instructions and the man's work—can be considered to 'understand Chinese', even if the man itself does not.)

Well, that's not true. Learning systems can acquire new knowledge through data. This data may be fed to it, it might gather it itself (for example, from the internet), or it might create data itself through exploration.
You might want to look into 'Machine Learning' once. It's a wonderful field!
First part is interesting however, the second part is a bit off. A computer CAN gain data off the internet, however, that data was programmed to do so, therefore, programming is pretty much almost, if not completely, involved and was programmed to be input into the computer. I've learned that computers can only understand the concept of "on" and "off" (A.K.A the Binary Language 1's and 0's). But if that's not the case, then what is?
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote