Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
groovyone

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Where im at now is wondering what software and equipment i really need to learn in order to succeed as a music composer, be it in video games, or freelance in other places. I feel like i have the creativity, drive, and knowledge to compose music, but i have yet to learn the technical skills to implement my skills in a professional workforce. I've really been thinking to go back to school for it, so i can be SHOWN what i need to learn how to use, but maybe if theres anyone here that can fill me in on the common software and equipment used, i just might be able to teach myself yet. Like i said, its at the point now where i just need to know what the pros use in a daily day on the job, so i can know where to begin learning.
To be proficient at audio on a daily basis you need to know what you're doing technically to achieve the desired results. Without the most basic knowledge of how compression works, how EQ works, why you even use each of them, you won't know how to professionally mix your music.

The primary areas to improve the quality of your music or sound design comes from your orchestration and mixing. Orchestration is choosing the right timbres of instruments or samples to work together to perform the music or sound design. Mixing is taking those elements and massaging and gluing them together to make a professional sounding mix of the song or sound effect.

Your basic technical tool set should be:

1. Two industry sequencers - one really well, one just a survival.
Music creation tools.
- Nuendo, Logic, Cubase, ProTools, Digital Performer, Reason .. etc

2. A multi-track editor:
The software you use to mix your tracks and sound design layered sounds.
- Nuendo, ProTools, Sony Vegas

3. A wav editor
- SoundForge, Bias Peak, Wavelab, Audition

4. A game audio engine
- WWise, Fmod

I would look at perhaps a Sound Engineering course so you learn the basics and practical side of audio. You'll also learn hardware mixing desks, microphone techniques, post production, hardware DSP and hardware mixing.

I personally took one offered by SAE - a 1 year course without holidays to achieve a Diploma of Audio Engineering. You could do something similar or a Diploma of Modern|Electronic Music Production.

Getting hold of some modern VSTs as well and becoming familiar with them and starting to encorporate them into your music will help raise the quality bar of your productions and help get them to a point where you can be taken seriously as a professional.

East West make a good set of orchestral, ethnic and percussive libraries.

Last edited by groovyone : 11-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.