View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #32
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

I was being very general and talking from personal experience. Out of all the games courses in the world, I would say 95% are junk and don't teach you the same things as a Computer Science degree and give you a 'jack of all trades' education and miss some of the fundamentals you need for other jobs. When I compare what I did (from a games course) with other people from a CS degree, I do worry somewhat when I decide to switch careers. For example, they had to write their own compiler for a custom language which means they have a core knowledge of how a compiler works.

I am also echoing the general sentiment of games developers view on games courses from other forums and people I know.

Also bear in mind that the OP wants to go to Full Sail which is a very slippery slope when started. It is expensive, intensive and really doesn't offer much more over a traditional CS degree taking into consideration that he has to move to another country to get this 'games specific education'. IIRC, they don't offer refunds of any kind either.

Last edited by yaustar : 11-12-2007 at 02:52 AM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote