Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
the reversal of pinocchio idea intrigues me. it could be a metaphor for someone who's exasperated with their differences from the norm and is trying to compromise themselves to fit in. I'm sure I'm not the only person on the forum who's been there before/contemplated it.
That was my line of reasoning as well; exploring the concept of social acceptance at the cost of one's individuality, giving up what makes us unique in order to fit into a group. In this particular example, the boy (a classic icon of adventurous individualism if ever there was one) is looking to sacrifice his humanity to fit in with a society of machines (which is pretty much as cut-and-dry an example of conformity as you can get).

I've never been one to put social statements (or anything, really) ahead of gameplay; I feel a game has to be playable, or any message you intend to share will be lost. Finding a proper gameplay mechanic that is true to the photo is the key here; remember, we're designing a game, not just creating a setting or establishing character motivation.

I'm definitely tinkering with the ideas though, but so far I haven't hit anything that's worth sharing. I'll keep you up to date, and if you have any input, feel free to share; maybe we can collaborate.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote