View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default hardcore vs. average

The comparison to McDonalds is really not concrete since you're comparing different fields of product. I understand what you're trying to say but I still think people give this idea of "the average gamer" too much weight. It's a mixture of both entertaining the masses and appealing to more adament gamers. Companies will make what will sell, no matter what crowd it appeals to. I really think that's as general a statement as one can make rather than saying they only sell games that the mass public will buy because frankly, there aren't many average gamers just yet. It's still a widely dominated field by "hardcore gamers" and will continue to be for a few more years. Of course there are many variables, the most notable I can think of being the platform since many average gamers will play mobile phone or flash games more than a hardcore gamer will. Anyways, my point is that there's no difference between the two gamer types. Whether you play a game 40 hours or 4 hours you still spent the same amount of money on it thus appealing to only one crowd is ludacris and literally bad marketing. I don't believe any company thinks this way because it would never work in my opinion.
Crastin is offline   Reply With Quote