View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

The reference to McDonalds was due to the article linked in the first post where the author said that game companies were producing games like McDonalds.

Then why is Brain Training consistently in the charts in terms of sales even after a year(?) since it was released? It doesn't look like the type of game that would appeal to the hardcore player. The hardcore gamer share is still a tiny percentage.

You always develop a game to a target market and in most companies, that means the one that is going to bring in the most money. Look at Harry Potter for example, recognisable brand, aimed at kids and sold really well. Is it a game that a hardcore player would play let alone buy? No, but the average kid doesn't really care as it is something that they recognise and therefore it sells really well because there are A LOT of kids who like Harry Potter but I highly doubt that most of them hardcore players.

Ico is a fantastic game and loved by hardcore players, but as the sales in retail suggest, the average Joe doesn't agree. Why is that if it was such a good game?

Smaller companies can afford to bend this rule and appeal to niche markets such as Introversion. A company of 3 or 4 people doesn't require much to make a profit and therefore more likely to try more unique ideas that would appeal to a certain niche market. E.g. Uplink, appeals to a niche market but the mass market? I don't think it does.

Of course, then you have the argument of what defines a 'hardcore player'. I define it as someone who plays most games to full completion (collected everything with 100% achievement points).

Last edited by yaustar : 12-03-2007 at 03:36 PM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote