Originally Posted by Okysho
1. I feel like I'm on the wrong path to becoming a designer.
2. Can any professionals give me some advice?
3. What other courses might I need?
4. Are there any easy ways (preferably cheap) to get started on making my own gaming portfolio?
5. what fallback plans do you guys have, should your company fail or by some cruel hand of fate get kicked out of the industry?
1. Your "feelings" are wrong.
3. Read http://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
4. Easy, no. Cheap, yes. But you aren't ready to build a portfolio yet. You're still a student. After graduation you'll be able to start on your portfolio.
5. Have a degree and a good work ethic.