View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
DockRock

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

I had a chance to look over your portfolio and I wanted to give you some feedback that I hope will help you in your future efforts. A few people mentioned some issues with the flash aspect of your site and how it's a bit slow so I'll skip over any critique on the website layout and go right to whats the most important, the content. So here goes:

The cars you have in your portfolio look great however the problem is you only have 2 of them. In fact those 2 cars are the only models in your entire portfolio. If you really want to get into the industry as a 3d modeler it is important that you show a more vast array of examples of your work i.e. buildings, props, or even characters (if you want to go the route of a character modeler). It's also important to display different genres in your portfolio as well sci-fi, fantasy, modern day. You are going to be modeling several different things so studios want to see that you know how (and actually enjoy) modeling things other than cars.

As far as your "Concept Sketches" go even though you do have full drawings and well thought out ideas the lack of color illustrations and any actual concepts (i.e. Weapon Designs, turnarounds, environment paintings) leaves this section feeling pretty sparse and unfinished. Also one of the most important things you need to show in your portfolio is a clear understanding of a digital paint program. A large majority of all concept art is done, in color, in a digital paint program. The reason why is because it's fast, it's versatile, and forgiving which speeds up progress and reduces mistakes. Your resume says that you know how to use Photoshop but your portfolio overall shows very few examples of that.

It looks like you have a very early start to a good direction so my recommendation to you is to get to work. Make more models, increase your digital paining knowledge and look for reference of other modelers and concept artists portfolio. Look to see what they are doing and try to emulate that. Remember that competition in this industry is fierce and if your work doesn't look like the work at the company you are applying for, you most likely still have a ways to go.

Good luck!