Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianModas View Post
Honestly, I would focus on your portfolio. Todays world seems to be heading in a direction away from checking college degree and more towards showing what you have already done. You already have some college, which is a great thing, but even if you do continue college, you will still have to work on your portfolio before even getting looked at. If you are happy delivering pizzas, and have a dead set dream in game design, then I know you can make it!

Not trying to say that college is a bad thing, just from experience in programming, I have never been asked "What is your highest education level", but always being asked "Can I see something you have done before?"
If your heart is set on game design, ChristianModas' suggestion is not a bad direction to go. What you've done seems to carry a lot more weight than a degree for paths such as world building and level design.

More and more the main criteria that I see from studios are what a person has already done and whether they mesh well with the existing team and the company's culture/environment.

OTOH... to throw a wrench in the works... pursuing a degree at the college that you can afford and have access to would mean that you'd have a certain amount of accredited formal training and also another field to fall back on with a degree if the game industry thing doesn't pan out.

The latter doesn't mean a lack of confidence in one's abilities, rather a path that builds with the storm in mind.