View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
shane.hendrickson

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45
Default Re: (new post) What can I do to become a video game writer?

The usual advice is that if you want to write, then write.
That is only half the battle. You also need to write correctly.
Do yourself a favor and become best friends with the AP Style Guide.

UAT does not offer a 'game writing' degree and they never will. If you asked, you would get the same response as those hoping for a 'level design' degree. They believe it all falls under the umbrella topic of 'game design'.

That said, UAT does require a few what they call 'writing intensive courses' as part of the degree. These include Character Development, Scriptwriting and Writing for Interactive Games. Trust me, you will write in these courses, a lot.

One of the best things you can do right now is write. Keep writing. Only stop writing long enough to read, or if you want to write for games, play games and analyze the writing. Review these stories and narratives in a weekly blog that you write. Read about how other game writers got into the business. Write stories for potential games. Visit the community sections of sites like YoYo Games (developers of Game Maker) and look for teams that are looking for a writer/designer. (Keep in mind that few teams are likely to be looking for someone who is only going to be the story writer.)

Do not contact game companies yet. You have nothing to offer them. Build yourself a mind-blowing portfolio with writing samples first. Most important, research how other game writers got into the business. Rafael Chandler (freelance writer) has been in the business for years. Amy Hennig did NOT get her start in the industry as a writer, but has been a part of writing some memorable titles (Legacy of Kain, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted).

Finally...
"Should I write more stories?"
If you wanted to be a chef, would you really ask someone if you should practice cooking first?

"I have I already been to sloperama, but the article was written in years ago."
One-hundred percent irrelevant. The information on Mr. Sloper's site is invaluable.