View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24
Default Re: Hello, I am looking for degree advice on VG industry.

Hi Andre,

Great post. Here is my advice to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistmere View Post
So my question is, If I am looking to be someone who gets to sit in meetings and talk about the "blue prints" of a game and decide what type of mechanics would work in certain parts of the game and basically design it from scratch, What type of job would be closely resemble something of that description?
The folks that typically do this at the early stage of game development for a game studio are experienced leaders (of all disciplines) or experienced senior designers. Unless you are working alone or with a couple of people on an indie title, you will not likely find yourself doing this type of activity for the first several years you are in the business. Ultimately the best shot of doing this type of work is to become a Producer or Lead Designer.

Quote:
At this moment in my life, I am about to get ready to decide what type of degree I should choose. After reading the above question, what type of degree would fit to someone who is trying to fill in one of those positions? Explain.
Personally, I think that the BS in Computer Science is all you need. With that and your drive you can find a way into the industry and work your way into the rolls that you want faster and with more hands-on applicable experience than trying to also get design and business related degrees.

Quote:
Right now I am currently theory planning a business degree and wondering if that would be a wise choice for a degree to get into the VG industry?
I don't think so. I can see the potential value here in helping you start your own business in the future, but I think that the Computer Science degree is all you need to achieve your goals.

Quote:
If you have any questions or advice that will not fit in any of these questions, please feel free to post it and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank You
I've created a website that is aimed directly at someone like you. Check it out at www.ineedtomakegames.com

Best,

Destin
Destin Bales is offline   Reply With Quote