View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
rvalenzuela

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Default Re: How do you start designing a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Your example approaches all seem to be talking about the plot of a story, rather than game mechanics. If you used those approaches, you could come up with a story, but you still wouldn't have a game. At that point you'd need to invent the mechanics of your game.

I'm of the opinion that games do better when they aren't trying to tell a specific story. Other artforms do that better. I think games are best when you create a set of rules, and let players just go to town with it. If you have interesting rules, then players will begin to create their own stories by doing interesting/meaningful things in the game.
I completely understand you, but I think your reply is more from a multiplayer point of view.

For example, Indigo Prophecy and Heay Rain both try to tell a specific story, almost all adventure games do this and end up being really good games.

I think all kind of games can be good, short story, long story, general or specific. It all depends on certain factors and how they are combined (story and gameplay, gameplay and graphics, etc.)

The game you are working on sounds cool, I also enjoy being watched while I play.