Old 07-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1824
Default Re: Game Design Major Needs Guidance

Be warned - there's a lot of tough talk in this reply. But my intent is to show you a different way of thinking, a better way of getting the information you really need. I am writing this reply to be helpful, but in a way that some people find disagreeable. If you can't take tough talk, Josh, stop reading now.
You wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmakesart View Post
1. I feel that after now becoming a junior I should know more about game design.
2. I know that I have these last 2 school years left to learn more, but it feels like I haven't learned enough up to this point.
3. some of what they say is easier said than done in my opinion.
4. I am not a fanboy of movies, tv shows, or even video games
5. which I think puts me far behind.
6. I have just started self-teaching C#
7. but I am looking for other ways of self-teaching to help me get a leg up in school.
8. I don't want to just graduate with a degree. I want to have enough under my belt to get a job.
1. Maybe so. Can you define "game design"? Because I'm not sure we're on the same page in that regard.

2. You haven't. Very few students who've just finished the sophomore year have learned enough. Look up the term "sophomoric." I just looked it up, and found two definitions:
Pretentious or juvenile.
Conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature.
Let's assume you are not pretentious, conceited, and overconfident. But, yeah, as a sophomore, you have definitely not learned enough yet. Or perhaps we need to agree on what "enough" means. What is your definition of "enough"?

3. Only some? Try again. ALL OF IT is easier said than done. EVERYTHING is easier said than done, except breathing and having a pulse (and even those have exceptions).

4. Really. Movies and TV don't matter, but you don't like video games? Then why are you going into game development, and especially why do you want to learn more about game design?

5. Behind other sophomores, you mean? Because they are the only competition you need to compare yourself with.

6. Really. Well, I don't deny that some knowledge of programming is useful for a game designer, but... I'm thinking we may be talking at cross purposes. Does your definition of "game design" include programming as an absolute requirement? Or are you learning it out of an insatiable curiosity to know more about how games are made?

7. I have an article that might be useful for that quest: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm

8. That's good. In the next 2 years as you finish your degree, you can work on your portfolio in your spare time. But even if you do, you still probably won't have "enough" to get a job straight out of school, depending on what kind of job you plan to go for. I don't know what kind of job you plan to go for, since I'm getting mixed signals from you: you say you want to know more about "game design," and you're learning about programming this summer, and your moniker is "joshmakesart," so I have no idea what kind of job you plan to go for after graduation.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote