View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
joshmakesart

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Re: Game Design Major Needs Guidance

That reply is exactly what I needed. I'm ex-military so when people give it to me straight, I appreciate it.

Also I am horrible at expressing what's on my mind and apologize for the vague explanation of my concerns. I will now try to explain things better and will reply to you in the format you used.

1. I misspoke. I meant Game Development. At my school it is the slang term that we use sometimes as a fast way of communicating. It shouldn't have been used in my post. I apologize. And the knowledge I have of Game Development includes the basic foundation stuff; system dynamics, mechanics, prototyping, rules, interface design, etc..)

2. What I meant is that even though I have taken the basic classes for Game Development I still don't feel that the knowledge I currently have makes me the least bit valuable or confident. It's more of a worried feeling in my stomach that I'm running out of time to learn enough while in college. I'm probably wrong but the feeling is there nonetheless.

3. You are totally right. I know it's not an easy process. My point in saying that was to get guidance on good tactics for learning a decent amount of information in limited time. For example, in one thread it said that I need to play all kinds of games good and bad, they even mention GameFly. But while in school it is nearly impossible to have time to play video games. I do what I can in that area, but it doesn't seem good enough.

4. I never said I didn't like video games. I think it was miscommunication on my part. Where I currently live/study, fanboy is a term for someone who has vast knowledge over a form of entertainment. Like someone who has a film obsession knows all actors, directors, and narrative within most movies in existence. I have been told countless times by professors that being a fanboy of video games is good, but not necessary. All I wanted really was a second opinion on the matter I suppose. I have played and loved video games since I was a child. But not knowing all the games out there just adds to the "worried feeling."

5. "Other sophomores" is exactly what I meant.

6. As it stands, I know little programming. I want to self teach programming for three reasons. One, to be able to communicate with programmers when working on future games. Two, to have the power to give life to my art in order to express my game ideas to my team. Three, to be ahead of schedule once I start programming courses.

7. Thanks.

8. I am well aware that it's not easy getting a great job right after graduating. That's one of the first things we are taught in this major. But it is possible to be more qualified than other students. My goal is to go above and beyond the class assignments, and have more going for me than just a degree when I graduate. Also, I do not yet know what path I will take in my career. And lastly, I just use "joshmakesart" for most user names because of my website, joshmakesart.com. I threw together the site and put some work on it a while back for a better chance at getting internships or whatever it may be needed for. It is still a work in progress.

I hope this has explained things a little better. I may have been in too much of a rush to get these concerns off my chest in the first post.

Once again, I apologize for the confusion and thank you for your reply.

Josh
joshmakesart is offline   Reply With Quote