View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Bigbeef

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default Re: IADT questions

I'm also interested in Full Sail's Game Design or Game development programs.

I can see that the "game development" degree is structured around programming, mathamatics and physics. Basically the game coders.

The thing that's causing a bit of confusion is their "Game Designer" degree. It looks like it's more based on creating gameplay concepts, team coordination and management skills, game economies, gameplay balancing, level design, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done the Game Designer degree path or does something similar currently in the actual field. Are these skills something that is actively sought after in the field? I'm worried about being able to actually do this as a career when I'm finished, and I want to make sure that the skills I learn are useful in all-sized companies in the industry.

I guess I'm trying to say that I'm worried that the "Game Design" degree path is something only "Big Companies" are looking for, with limited positions and that it's not important on small-scale indi titles.

I'd love to work on a Battlefield, or an Elder Scrolls game for sure, but I'm also realistic about life, and don't want to get a degree that teaches skills that isn't sought after for indi-level titles.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

P.S. I know Full Sail is expensive, but I have the 9/11 GI Bill and it's going to cover all books and tuition. So the price is not an issue.

I'm just interested in knowing what game companies are really looking for in a person. Big and small. So that in the end I can actually work in the gaming field.

Last edited by Bigbeef : 11-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Bigbeef is offline   Reply With Quote