Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
iddqd

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
I don't care how you define fun. If it's fun then you will succeed. Also Tetris has no motivation other then do better.
Uh..."doing better" is a huge motivation. Almost every game genre uses it. Look, your game can do one of two things: 1) define a new playing genre (or at least contain enough original gameplay that appears to form a new genre) or 2) expand on an existing genre. If you expand, you rely on allowing players that are already familiar with your genre to expand their skills in that type of gameplay. Ultimately, this is your player's drive for buying and performing long term use of your game. FPS's, for example, take what's there and add to it so players can feel like their expanding on their skills in the area.

And the WoW comment even furthers my point. When you get bored, the game is no longer fun...true. But you more importantly lose your drive to continue playing. Whatever was there that made you continue to go back night after night no longer is appealing. Maybe for you the game was a smorgasboard thrills with no pause for two years straight, but for most I would wager they their good nights and their bad.

I'm not saying great games aren't fun, but it takes more to make a game great. Especially if you plan to start an entire company around making the software...and said company is planned to be around for years and years to come. It's a necessity. Companies that succeed in the industry provide games that aren't just fun, but separate their product through giving their players great motivation for playing.
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote