View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

if you have musical training, why not try to become a composer in the game industry and build of natural skill. That is what I would do in your position.

If you still really really want to code then believe me when I say it is a long process and not a skill you can pickup over night. I would suggest take at least a couple of courses in class rooms over the very important languages, namely C++, Java, and/or C#. Scripting languages are easier to pick if you know and understand coding already so that can be done on your spare time.

A teacher in a programming languages course once told me to strive to learn 2 major languages (C/C++, Java, C# etc..), 2 scripting languages (Python, Lua, Perl etc..), 1 functional language like (scheme, Haskell etc..), 1 or 2 net languages (xml, xhtml, CSS etc..) and if you can a x86 assembler language. As a programmer, having a vast array of languages at your disposal greatly enhances the chances of not only you getting your first job, but getting your next job which to me seems key in the gaming industry.

An example is the newest version of a game I'm working on for the university used to be all coded in C++ and Torque script. Over the summer myself and another student are converting the code to still C++ for base classes, but all of the game resources are being built out of python modules and game assets are being adjusted using xml (kinda like how Civ VI used embedded python, though I'm not sure if they used it the same way)

Now again this is still only 'research' game funded by the university, but as you can see the development cycle of a product can change very quickly between languages.

1) your very young, you should be fine beginning your career learning code as long as you can support yourself.

2) I can't comment on that because I really don't know. I would assume a university might teach more about coding or the theoretical side of it (i.e. automata theory, data structures, good habits and useful design practice) while a gaming college would teach you more real world skills that would directly apply to gaming (I am assuming anyway). An on line course is left up to you as to how much you learn and that can only be answered by you.

3) Audio programming is not easy (at least for me ><) so I wouldn't make assumptions about particular aspects jobs. As Ronnoc said above you (which btw is great advice ^^) pick what you love doing, whether it be easy or hard cause you will be good at it.

Other then that, try sending an email to an actually game programmer and ask him to describe the different parts of the programming team (jobs and responsiblites) and when you get a response, make sure to post it here. That would be awesome =D.

There are a lot more intelligent people on this site then me, and many of whom really do know the answers to questions as they are in the industry. Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am just a lowly college student with a passion for games. =P

--Jason Hooten

Last edited by Dominia : 06-11-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote