View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
Jesster

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I can't say with certainty that the Guildhall Art creation track is amazing because I have not yet completed it, in fact I was just accepted!

But, I do like their philosophy and encourage you to check it out. It's a master's degree though, so comparing it to undergrad degrees doesn't really work. As they post on their website, it's a program that doesn't teach people to be artists, it teaches artists to be "game artists", you need to have the necessary aptitude before hand and they'll teach you the rest.

Also, one thing to check out if you are really interested in getting into the industry, is the professors at any given school. Have they ever been involved in making an actual game? Have any of them shipped a popular title? Do they still work in the industry? Ask lots of questions.

Honestly, I would think it's hard to teach how to be a game artists if you have not been a game artist. It's a relatively new field and taking a purely academic approach with professors who have just been art teachers, or just been programming teachers, sounds a little naive (not that there is anything wrong w/ these teachers, but if they have never worked on making a game then...?). From my research on schools I found out that guildhall was created because of the demand of the Dallas/Ft Worth game industry needing more "professionals" who know exactly how to be an effective game designer.

*hops off soap box*
There are lots of other good schools out there, digipen, full sail seem to be good schools, but again I can't say, I didn't research them as much as I did the Guildhall and that doesn't make me an expert either . I also have a friend who went to Art Institute (I myself even considered it, but opted for a master's instead of another BA~ I have a BA in Studio art and a BA in Creative Writing). She commented that if you can be in class it is a million times better than any online course.

And btw, if you want to be in the Industry, and I mean really want to be in the industry, everywhere I have read says you need to work as hard as you possibly can to that end because of how competitive it is.

I would suggest working your a** off, instead of looking for a program that's so open, you can practically slack off and not even show up to class and still pass through it... Just my opinion though..