Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #19
Neoconker

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsheldo@indiana.edu View Post
In my book I discuss four approaches to storytelling in games from the most restrictive to the least. The first is Traditional (Linear); the second is Branching (Linear-Thinking); the third is Web (Simple Non-Linear); the last is Modular (Non-Linear)
In all honesty I am profaining my religion by posting but I couldn't help myself...

Even Modular are not truley NON-linear. After playing thru (usually several times) slight yet very distinctive patterns do form. As to make a point true non-linear stories lie in the fact that they hold a limitless quantity of bodies and endings. Presenting this in relation to a game is extremely difficult.

It would require either finesse enough to present the same story (or parts there of) with slight differences thus allowing for the illusion of non-linear or in reality it could require a enviorment just as adaptive as the player. Simply as to present new challenges and new ends (remember it's not always about the end but the journey too). Still to pose a totally new idea why not begin differently and have the ends the same (or maybe the second, third, or fourth time through the stories meet in the middle) or maybe they don't end at all.

Oh and a comment on the original thread BRANCHING a story and making it bigger adds game time not a new story. Oh and there are other ways of writing storylines...

I know off hand that this is not all true in all situations () so go ahead criticize...

Ok I'm done being stupid, long winded, and a tiny bit sarcastic.
Neoconker is offline   Reply With Quote