View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

I feel as though I've had multiculturalism bashed over my head, stuffed down my throat, and frankly it gives me a headache.

I feel that sometimes, when we to broaden standards etc by focusing on minorities, in our attempt to include those minorities in our thinking we accidentally paint them as something exotic. Instead of expanding the baseline as we originally intended, we actually emphasize it, and the role models for the minorities become overly heroized oddities upon which we place the burden of bringing the very change we ourselves attempted to make in the first place.

Politics is different. People who go into politics do so because they want to make change, want to become civil rights leaders, etc (plus money, fame and glory and all that stuff). A lot of people in other industries, including games, just want to do what they do. Just because someone in a woman in games does not mean they should feel pressured to also be a Women's Rights Champion within the games industry just because they are a minority. If they wanted to campaign for Women's Rights so badly, they are still free to do so or they could just go into politics.

Then of course, comes the backlash. People start hating the minorities because they get all the special attention, special scholarships, better schools, etc. Majority people begin to hate minorities when they were once just cool, different, "who cares?" people, but their anger builds in silence while minorities are free to point out every nuance as a sign of sexism, racism, insert your ism here. The baseline becomes the minority. The result is that the scales don't get balanced, only flipped, but people will still keep thinking that the baseline is the majority and keep adding weights to the wrong side. Then of course the now favored minorities have to keep second guessing their abilities. Were they really the best person for the job because of their helpfulness, hardwork, and talent? Or was it because of their sex, skin color, etc?

All this for someone who just wants to make games.

Really, who cares? Yes, it's a good thing to know that the games industry is not male only. Yes, there are differences. But are the differences really that big? Are they really that exotic?