View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I've been thinking about this all day.

There is a gender gap in the video game industry. This is a fact. As for myself, I find this disconcerting, and shrinking it (obviously there is no equilibrium) is something that should be worked for.

What I feel is that shrinking said gap is being gone about the wrong way. Brenda Brathwaite's Op-ed was mainly about interviews asking females in the industry about being a female in the industry. Interviews with industry vets are interesting, and quite a few of them appear on Gamasutra. There is enough difference between gaming companies that interviews with a member of one company are interesting to a member of another, which is why they appear on Gamasutra. If there is that much difference between the companies, and, needless to say, there is a greater difference between people, than questions about being a female in the industry mean very little. I can't read an interview about so-and-so's experience as a woman in the video game industry, and come away with anything that expands my knowledge of why the gap exists. All I come away with is her personal story. On the other hand, and interview with a Sociologist, a paper by one, or statistics about women in the video game industry do help. What I'm trying to say is that I really don't care on an individual level, and I don't think one should care, but issues like this are important on a population level.

On a side note, I just noticed my favorite editor listed as Editor/Research on the 2008 State of Game Development Survey. I plan on going through as much as I can without paying 2,495 USD (edit: which is disappointingly little, given the size of the beastly thing :P), but it would be nice to see something on GCG about your findings on women or minorities in gaming.

Last edited by ronnoc10 : 08-08-2008 at 07:50 PM.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote