View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #15

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I've been thinking about this all day.

There is a gender gap in the video game industry. This is a fact. As for myself, I find this disconcerting, and shrinking it (obviously there is no equilibrium) is something that should be worked for.

What I feel is that shrinking said gap is being gone about the wrong way. Brenda Brathwaite's Op-ed was mainly about interviews asking females in the industry about being a female in the industry. Interviews with industry vets are interesting, and quite a few of them appear on Gamasutra. There is enough difference between gaming companies that interviews with a member of one company are interesting to a member of another, which is why they appear on Gamasutra. If there is that much difference between the companies, and, needless to say, there is a greater difference between people, than questions about being a female in the industry mean very little. I can't read an interview about so-and-so's experience as a woman in the video game industry, and come away with anything that expands my knowledge of why the gap exists. All I come away with is her personal story. On the other hand, and interview with a Sociologist, a paper by one, or statistics about women in the video game industry do help. What I'm trying to say is that I really don't care on an individual level, and I don't think one should care, but issues like this are important on a population level.

On a side note, I just noticed my favorite editor listed as Editor/Research on the 2008 State of Game Development Survey. I plan on going through as much as I can without paying 2,495 USD (edit: which is disappointingly little, given the size of the beastly thing :P), but it would be nice to see something on GCG about your findings on women or minorities in gaming.
The 6th way designers communicate? With their fists.

Last edited by ronnoc10 : 08-08-2008 at 06:50 PM.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote