Old 09-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
DockRock

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addieandjack View Post
Thanks all for the replies. What I am still just unsure about is how much I would be using drawing and such in one of the before stated jobs. I mean would I be just drawing my ideas first to then show the other people working on the project? (Wouldn't have to be the best art, just get my idea across) Or would I be having to pitch ideas with my drawings. (Would have to be high quality art)

I have started to practice drawing but it still feels as though I will never be good at it. I am just feeling now as though my inability to draw will limit, if not destroy my chances of getting a job doing 3D animation/modeling.
Learning how to draw will only benefit you as a Game Artist. Being able to convey an idea quickly and clearly through illustration is one of the most beneficial skills you can have in any art medium. I do however have friends whose portfolios contain 2d art that is only sub-par in comparison to there 3D work. What you really need to learn is anatomy and structure. With a knowledge of those 2 things modeling a person or building or car comes easy (with practice of course). In most cases I believe artwork is provided by the conceptual art team and you will build your 3D objects from that.

Depending on the company you want to work for, they all have different requirements. The most ideal candidate for any art job is someone who can take a project from the 2D conceptual phase, to orthographic model sheets, to 3D modeling, to texture and rig, and quite possibly animation. Not every company needs this though, and once again it depends on who you work for. I highly recommend you look at a few of your favorite game companies websites and check out there "career/job/employment" sections. These companies specify exactly what they are looking for in a potential job candidate. Specifically under the "Character Artist," "Environment Artist" and "3D Animator" positions. Keep in mind the less skills and knowledge you have under your belt the more difficult it's going to be to find a job in a highly competitive market. If you feel like your art is not up to par yet I highly reccomend you finish out your remaining years in high school taking art classes and getting a student copy of a COMMERCIAL 3d program (For example: Max, Maya, XSI etc.)!

You might want to pick up some books too on Game Art and 3D modeling. If you feel as though you might not be ready for that much art you might want to sample what your in for before signing up for any college or institution that claims they are going to teach you how to do all these things. College gives you the tools but they spend more time teaching you how the programs work and not so much the art side of things.

Don't let anything in this post discourage you in anyway, if you are truly passionate and determined, in time you will overcome any artistic obstacles you may face presently and you will succeed as an artist. Everyone can learn art techniques and how to use a program, it's about perseverance not "god-given" talent.

Hope that helps...Good Luck!