Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
I see piracy as a fundamental disregard for other people, and doubt that anything 'other people' could do would change this.
I totally agree with you.

I'm trying to formulate this intelligently, but it's not working, as my philosophical software appears to get buggy when I do this at work, but...

Most people looking longingly at a Lamborghini but can't afford it would think it ridiculous to open the door and take it for a spin if they found the door unlocked and the key in the ignition. They know that that would be stealing.

However, since something intangible is easily accessible over the internet, they do not make that same connection.

Pirating games (or music) is no different in my mind...except that you don't typically find games in home computers that cost 100,000$+

I am not certain why, but I believe it has to do with the anonymity provided by the internet and the near certainty of not being caught. If people think there are no consequences for their actions, then they will be more likely to take them.

You do bring up an interesting point, though. Games typically sell at a given price range. I don't know how these are set, but there definitely seems to be a price range for a given type/quality of games. If producers were to knock their prices down, would they reduce the instances of piracy?

Somehow, I suspect not.

However, would they be able to reach the people that would want to pay for the game, aren't willing to pirate it, but can't afford to pay for the price as it currently stands? Could this increase revenues? I assume there's some kind of market analysis and economic examination that takes place to set these prices which takes into account these facts...
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote