crimson.cosmos

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Art Courses on the trail to Concept Art/Artwork

Hello!

I need some advice from you.

I've spent the last couple of days looking at prospectuses, course descriptions and whatnot trying to decide what I need. I should mention that I'm kind of green when it comes to drawing, I have absolutely no experience with painting but, well, I think I would enjoy working in this field. The goal I have in mind is becoming a 2D artist, basically drawing, doing concept art or artwork, and textures.

During my "perusing", I think what I need to get me started would be a Foundation Degree - the problem is that I don't know what kind of Foundation Degree. I was looking for Universities in the UK and there are a few Game Art Foundation Courses, but what would be second best here? Foundation Studies in Art and Design?

Assuming I find a Foundation Degree that suits me and brings me closer to my goals, what BA should I follow then? Again, there is Game Art, which would be the number one logical choice. What comes in for seconds though? Fine Art, Digital Art, Graphical Art, Art and Design?

Oh! Another thing - if I have to choose from a Game Art degree at a University or a Fine Art/Graphic Art/whatever Art at a better University, which should I take? And if you studied at a UK University, please share your thoughts and experiences!

Good! Now I know both the Foundation Degree, and the Bachelor one. How is the gaming industry in the UK? I admit that I'm mainly into PC development at this point so...what are my prospects when I'm out? Then again, four years is a long time and a lot can change.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers!

cc

p.s. Does Norwich School of Art and Design ring any bells?
crimson.cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2268

The UK games industry is quite large compared to the rest of Europe with many large developers such as Codemasters, Sega Racing, EA, Frontier, Rockstar, Blitz, Team17, Traveller Tales, Rare, etc.

My concern is that there are not very many roles for concept artists in general so finding a job as a concept artist could be difficult. It be prudent to also train in a second skill such as 3D modeling or animation. As a 2D artist, you are limited somewhat to GUI related work, mobile and/or casual games.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
crimson.cosmos

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
The UK games industry is quite large compared to the rest of Europe with many large developers such as Codemasters, Sega Racing, EA, Frontier, Rockstar, Blitz, Team17, Traveller Tales, Rare, etc.

My concern is that there are not very many roles for concept artists in general so finding a job as a concept artist could be difficult. It be prudent to also train in a second skill such as 3D modeling or animation. As a 2D artist, you are limited somewhat to GUI related work, mobile and/or casual games.
Thanks for the advice.

Now, taking that into account, I guess Game Art courses do sound a lot more tempting as they cover both animation and 2D/3D development. And that pretty much leaves out Fine Art and Graphical Art Courses. An alternative to Game Art would remain Digital Art or something similar.

I didn't really look into Animation Courses because I reckon those focus on 3D art and well, animation. Now my preference towards 2D remains a key factor in choosing a course. But if I'm too choose some "broadening" field, then I guess modeling would also be quite fun.

I still need that Foundation Program though to help me put together a portfolio. So far UCAS knows of a handful FdAs in Game Art - only one that doesn't require a portfolio upfront, but they all look for them. Huddersfield says that it isn't mandatory, but both Norwich and Doncaster require one.
It's not to say that I don't understand the need of such a "admission criterion", because they have to know if the respective person has any sort of talent or inclination towards what he or she is going to study in the next two-three years. But how can I compete side by side with another student that started fiddling with 2 and 3D programs since school?

Any further input is highly appreciated!

Cheers!

cc
crimson.cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2268

Unfortunately, you are left with a couple of choices. Either make a decent portfolio for the Universities that require them or apply to ones that don't.

For the Foundation degree, you are not restricted to just game art related courses. You should be able to transfer over to a Games Art related degree (should you wish to) after you complete your foundation course.

(I would check with your education advisor to be 100% sure).
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote