Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
deity307

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default Degree or diploma in journalism?

My goal is to become a video game journalist for a large company like Ziff Davis. I'm 19 (about to turn 20 in a couple of months). I read a few articles about VG journalists and what education you should have. Although most of them said education is not ESSENTIAL, a degree in journalism would help. That's the part I'm worrying about. Right now I can't go to university because I'm missing 1 university credit from high school, so I'd have to wait a year to get that missing credit and apply for 2009 journalism classes. HOWEVER, I could take a college journalism course (3 years long) and get an advanced diploma. What I'm wondering is how much a diploma will be enough, and if it's the same as a degree.

So should I stop waiting and take this college program and get an advanced diploma, or bite the bullet and take the university program and get a degree?
deity307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Beth A. Dillon

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss30

Education won't matter as much as your skills to communicate and getting a start somewhere. Now, case in point, Frank Cifaldi, who started Lost Levels and one day ended up as Features Editor for Gamasutra.com and is now Editorial Manager at GameTap. Why? Because he's cool and writes well.

You can get a degree in English or Communications as well. Going strictly Journalism doesn't add a whole lot in the game world, but do keep in mind that you'll want to know journalism protocol at the outset.

- Beth
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
deity307

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Okay in that case, I will go for the college journalism advanced diploma. Like you said, I'm sure that education isn't AS important as your ability to write and entertain. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Clov3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Yeah, I too am somewhat in the same boat. I spent the last 2 years attending various art schools thinking that was what I wanted to do, but after a year and a half of writing for the video game industry I've found that it's what I love to do.

Aside from being forum and site admins, I've gone to events (with given press passes which I had to acquire though credentials), written opinionated stories, simple 1-2-3 Guidelines and News articles. I'm great at my writing and I have the experience. Would companies see this and hire me with a smaller job title first giving me leverage to work my way up the corporate ladder in the industry? Or should I think about going back to school, like community college, and get a degree in creative writing or journalism?
Clov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
myfourtwofour
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

Im interested also in a career in journalism and while education or specific journalism study is not 100% essential, i guess it is such a competative sector than if you have the specific qualification then it puts you right up top.
myfourtwofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
deity307

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

So I've asked around, you guys say college journalism is fine. But I went to Game Dev.net and they said university is essential. I'm lost.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
EmilyK

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

Hey everyone. As some words of encouragement I've managed to get paid journalism work, and I've got no education in it (I'm doing a games design/art course). Instead I've been writing for various free sites for about two years. It's not the same as having a degree at all (I didn't realise bigger sites actually had that as a requirement), but I think employers really value past experience, too.
EmilyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyK View Post
I didn't realise bigger sites actually had that as a requirement
I think it's a requirement for a paid position.