Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
admin
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Default What strange, made-up games do you play?

I've been thinking about this week's game design challenge (spoken word) and decided to share with you all weird games my family and I play.

1. Wheat Thin Challenge. Take two Wheat Thins. Stack them and hold them between thumb and forefinger. Press together until one cracks. The cracked chip is the loser and gets eaten. The champion chip stays and challenges the next Wheat Thin to come out of the box. Repeat until full. You'll be amazed at how much you start to support a chip that has won multiple rounds.

2. You can argue that this is not a game, but I don't care what anyone says; my family and friends play this one and we love it. It's especially good on a long car ride. It doesn't have a name. Who ever decides to initiate the game asks a question. It can be any question. And everyone in the car answers. Often, it feels like a James Lipton interview, but it's fun. Some examples of questions are: "If you had to change careers, and education and money were moot, what would you do?" Or "If you could only eat one ethnicity of food again for the rest of your life, what would it be?" The question-asker can continue asking questions until she's bored, and then she says, "Who else wants to ask now?" That's it. No scoring. No winners. But it amuses us for quite some time.

What strange, made-up games do you play?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
The Jedi Pirate

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss30

When I was a kid, I used to play a game with my folks whenever we went out to eat. While we waited for our food, each of us would take turns saying the name of a country, city, state, or something along those lines. You start off with one, let's say for example, Alabama. The next person had to say a name that started with the last letter of the previous word. It was always really interesting to see how far we could go.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Salt and Pepper Shaker Sumo Wrestling.

Essentially you have a table, and each person (or each hand, if I'm playing by myself) pulls their shaker to the edge of the table. You then slide the shakers at each other, hoping to knock the other one over. Salt almost always wins, because it's heavier, but sometimes pepper manages to knock it over.

Unfortunately it's a tad messy, but a ton of fun.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss695

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jedi Pirate View Post
When I was a kid, I used to play a game with my folks whenever we went out to eat. While we waited for our food, each of us would take turns saying the name of a country, city, state, or something along those lines. You start off with one, let's say for example, Alabama. The next person had to say a name that started with the last letter of the previous word. It was always really interesting to see how far we could go.
A friend and I used to do that with Pokemon names. Yes, he is a nerd.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Pokemon are awesome! I do say, I stopped keeping track after the Sapphire version came out
Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss695

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
Pokemon are awesome! I do say, I stopped keeping track after the Sapphire version came out
Actually, I only truly knew the original 151, so I usually lost
Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
The Jedi Pirate

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
A friend and I used to do that with Pokemon names. Yes, he is a nerd.
Pokemon names eh? That's definitely up there in nerdom. Now I'm tempted to try it with MTG cards XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSD View Post
We use to play that too! Until we found out it's Shiritori xD (or the Russian equivalent). Very fun game back then, not to mention all of us managed to ace world, american and canadian geography. Infinite Word Ladder was fun too. Use a 4 letter word (because we were kids and our english vocabulary wasn't that great xP) and change a letter of the word each time.
Cake > Lake > Late > Mate > Matt > Mast > Cast > Case > Vase > Vast > Vest > Test > Pest > Post > Most > Moss > Loss > Toss > Toes > Tons > Tone > Cone > Cane > Mane > Dane > etc....
Kept us going for a while.....
By the time we were grade 4-5, we were reading the old edition of LoTR (think it was the 1964 edition). Wish they would teach kids these games nowadays instead of sticking them in front of the TV/Computer/etc....
It has a name? I never knew that. I'll have to Wiki that sometime.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jedi Pirate View Post
We use to play that too! Until we found out it's Shiritori xD (or the Russian equivalent). Very fun game back then, not to mention all of us managed to ace world, american and canadian geography. Infinite Word Ladder was fun too. Use a 4 letter word (because we were kids and our english vocabulary wasn't that great xP) and change a letter of the word each time.
Cake > Lake > Late > Mate > Matt > Mast > Cast > Case > Vase > Vast > Vest > Test > Pest > Post > Most > Moss > Loss > Toss > Toes > Tons > Tone > Cone > Cane > Mane > Dane > etc....
Kept us going for a while.....
By the time we were grade 4-5, we were reading the old edition of LoTR (think it was the 1964 edition). Wish they would teach kids these games nowadays instead of sticking them in front of the TV/Computer/etc....
Old 07-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

I play "The Game"...damn, I just lost because I remembered I was playing...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Well, one time, at band camp...

In the building where I work there are 4 elevetors, and I have this theory that the elevetor that will stop at my floor will always be the one furthest from where I'm standing. I keep trying to prove this theory, together with testing several cases - what happenes if 2 people stand in front of 2 different elevetors? what happenes if 4 people stand in fornt of each elevator (I claim that in this case no elevetor will ever stop on this floor).
Facebook profile
Closed Thread