Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
JLansford

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default A little late in the game, but it's where I want to be..!

Hey everyone!

I stumbled across this site a few months ago, and I've finally come to a point in my life where I'm going to pursue my interest in getting into the games industry.

Perhaps its best to start with a little background: I'm 21, and currently attending the Air Force Academy. While I've been in the Air Force for a total of 3 years, truthfully, I don't have much interest in it. As I get closer to incurring a large committment to something I don't want to do, I've decided to chase down my dream: Video Game development.

As you can tell since I'm posting in this forum, obviously I'm looking more at an art focus. I recently invested in a tablet, and have been using it to a huge extent.. As I've been reading around these forums, I've seen that there seems to be a bit of a paradigm shift towards merging 2D/3D art, and having skills at developing both. I'm very good at perspective / spacial / architectural drawings, so I think that 3D environments would be one of my strengths. I've downloaded blender, and am currently teaching myself to use it so I can get up to speed.

I'm going to be leaving the Academy at the end of this year to attend a college that could somehow cater to these areas.. I have my GI bill, so I have roughly 100K to spend on college, but I don't want to get tricked into going to one of those fratboy developer Westwood College infomercial places... (Those commercials really are horrible..!) Any suggestions on schools?

I look forward to getting to know you all, and any advice you all have about a good direction to go would be greatly appreciated..!
JLansford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
JLansford

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

No advice..? I'm looking at SCAD for when I get out.. It's expensive, but fortunately, Uncle Sam is footing the bill for my college education! Any advice on that? I've read some good things on this forum about it, and am eager to know you alls opinions..!

~Jlansford
[EDIT]: Fixed scad typo

Last edited by JLansford : 10-17-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

I don't know much about specific schools in the USA, but you seem to be doing your research and know what you want to do. I'm guessing that you want to be an environment artist, or some other general artist role. So just keep on doing your research and ensure that you get a balence of traditional art techniques in addition to 3D animation or whatever game-specific art you are interested in.

What was your role while you were in the air force? Have you considered being a technical artist?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Did you mean SCAD? Savannah College of Art & Design? I've heard it's a good school reading about the different schools on this site (conceptart.org) will help with your research just go to the forums and click on Art Schools & Education and do a search for SCAD there are numerous threads on this site regarding this school along with others.

I've also heard good things about Ringling School of Art & Design and CalArts to name a couple more. All in all school is really what you put into it. Any other questions just let me know. LadyAurora!
ladyaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
JLansford

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Unfortunately, my job in the Air Force isn't one that really translates over to a graphical career: Surgeon's Assistant. Cool job, but not really applicable here, or so I think lol..

Yeah, I was referring to SCAD; their programs look really, really good..!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Deo

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

I would agree that the westwood college commersials look HORRIBLE! But don't use that as your bench mark. To be honost the things you need to look at when looking for a school is:
1) How many ppl who have graduated ended up in the field?
2) What kind of equipment / software are they using?
3) What is the backgrounds of the teachers did they come from the field or something similar?
4) Dose it teach a traditional AND a technical stand point in the art it provides to the students?
5) Look at some graduated students portfolio

I hope this helps!
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
JLansford

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Deo, your location says you're in Colorado? Me too...! (Obviously lol..) Are you currently in the industry, and if so, which company?

You all are great~!