Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
luk3r3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Could I cut it as a game journalist?

I'm currently in year 11 and I'd really like to be a game journalist; I've been playing games since I was about 5, and still do today. I also read a lot of magazines and regularly visit gaming websites, so I am definately passionate about games!
One thing that's troubling me, however, is my English. I've always done well in the creative writing part (A/B), but in everything else I get straight Cs. I'm also not going to take English at college. These are my attained and predicted grades:
Attained
Core Science- A*
French- A*
Statistics- A
AS Level Critical Thinking- B

Predicted
Additional Science- A*
Maths- A*
Spanish- A*
English- C
Bus/Com- A
AiDA- A*
Humanities- B/C

Next year, I'm planning to go to college and study A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French, with a view to going on to university.
So, could I get into games journalism with an English C grade as long as I had a degree and practised my writing?
luk3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3r3r View Post
I'm currently in year 11 and I'd really like to be a game journalist; I've been playing games since I was about 5, and still do today. I also read a lot of magazines and regularly visit gaming websites, so I am definately passionate about games!
Awesome! Keep it up. I think your next move, if you are truely passionate about games and this is what you want to to, is to start writing your own game reviews and articles. I would reccomend setting up a personal blog page or try to get involved with an eMagazine or an online review website.

Quote:
One thing that's troubling me, however, is my English. I've always done well in the creative writing part (A/B), but in everything else I get straight Cs. I'm also not going to take English at college.
Why are you only getting C's? You should get in contact with your teacher to find out why you are not doing as well as your other subjects.

Quote:
These are my attained and predicted grades.
Kudos on the grades. You're doing a lot better than I did at this point in my GCSE's.

Quote:
Next year, I'm planning to go to college and study A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French, with a view to going on to university.
Personally, I think you should be taking English if you are planning to become a journalist. However, these subjects will give you a firm academic foundation for many fields.

Quote:
So, could I get into games journalism with an English C grade as long as I had a degree and practised my writing?
It would be a distinct disadvantage if you were trying to get into a top university. Check out course pre-requisites on UCAS for more information. You should also get in contact with the careers advisor at your school.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Halo Girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss97

you clever people, you make me sad. I look stupid, compared to you..
Halo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Maybe become a French or Spanish game journalist? What is your native language?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
dmcclure

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss110

I would be tempted to take English and Media Studies at college if I was you, however if you do badly you might let yourself down when it comes to applying to university - having said that, I left college with poor A-level grades due to laziness and got a first at university when I worked hard, which I think proves hard work is probably the most important factor in success. Perhaps you should try and analyse why you have lower grades in English than your other subjects and see if it's possible to take steps to alter this?
dmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote