Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Default Is what my friend says true?

Basically, my friend wants to be a game designer as well, but he says it's practically "A must" to learn how to program or do 3D models in order to become a game designer. After reading Tom Sloper's Article though, it seems more or less that you'd need to learn about them, but not necessarily know how to do them to a professional extent and you should pursue the knowledge in the field you're most interested in. I mean, it's also obvious that the things my friend mention will definitely boost your chances, however... After trying to program in one of my classes, it really wasn't a erm... "fun" experience for me. I didn't really enjoy it in other words, so I'm gonna try 3D modelling, however, I don't want it to be my job. I wish to only learn it so I can understand how to explain things and possibly do some work to create designs or general ideas of how I want something to look to a lesser extent. Anyhow, I'm a bit nervous cause I'm pretty sure I read that Programming, Designing, and Art were different parts of the industry.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

While they're definitely advantageous to learn and will help you on your chosen path, I would say simply a working knowledge of them is all you NEED; a familiarity with modeling will prove useful when designing levels, while a familiarity with coding will help you understand scripting better.

The general idea, however, is that you understand both well enough to know (and appreciate) what other members of the development team are doing, and have some level of working vocabulary with them. So you don't go and say something stupid like "We need to tighten up the graphics on level 3".
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
my friend ... says it's practically "A must" to learn how to program or do 3D models in order to become a game designer. After reading Tom Sloper's Article though
So, are you asking "who is right - my friend or Tom Sloper?" Is that what you're asking? (^_^)

These days, Level Design is the preferred pathway to Game Design, and level design would come close to what your friend is saying. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m69.htm
Besides, "practically a must to learn" is not the same thing as "absolutely a must to master," which means there's a grayscale involved here, not a black-and-white opposition in what your friend says and what I say.

And read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm
http://archives.igda.org/breakingin/career_paths.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.

Last edited by tsloper : 01-15-2010 at 10:49 AM.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote