Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
CollegeWriter19

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default My dream is to write the story/dialogue for video games. Any advice or explanation?

So, my dream is to write the story or dialogue to video games. I know that I won't just burst into writing for AAA titles. I am a freshman in college and I'm starting my second semester. My parents have been asking me what I want to do with my life and I thought about it and I want to write for video games. I go to Wilmington university in delaware and I want to transfer to another school after the spring semester. I want to go back to university of advancing technology. I went there last year bit I messed up and now I'm at Delaware to get my gpa up. are there any other schools that will help me in my journey or any info or advice. Ive already been to sloperama. I have been writing and I have been fascinated with stories and characters since I was a kid. I wrote some short stories, but I don't know how to write for video games. I'm not a tech writer and I hate math. What degree do I need? What colleges offer what I need? Also, the schools need to be for people who are nerdy and cool like uat. I miss uat a lot though and I miss how all it was. Is there anyone at uat that can help me? What can I do? I have no problem starting out reviewing or writing abou games. I also would gave no problem with other writing careers in the entertainment industry like comic books or something. This is my first post and I really hope someone replies to this with a detailed explanation.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
CollegeWriter19

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default Re: My dream is to write the story/dialogue for video games. Any advice or explanatio

I want to get into dialogue or story writing
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270
Default Re: My dream is to write the story/dialogue for video games. Any advice or explanatio

It is rare that a company will have a permanent writer in the studio (IIRC, Ubisoft do this though) and normally contract them in when needed. This would mean that you have to be prepared to bounce/freelance between industries,

For writing, you probably be looking at a degree like Creative Writing, English, English Literature or something along those lines.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Quote:
...my dream is to write the story or dialogue to video games...
1. I want to go back to university of advancing technology.
2. are there any other schools that will help me in my journey
3. or any info or advice. Ive already been to sloperama... What degree do I need?
4. What colleges offer what I need?
5. Also, the schools need to be for people who are nerdy and cool like uat.
6. Is there anyone at uat that can help me?
7. What can I do?
8. I really hope someone replies to this with a detailed explanation.
1. Why? You say you want to be a writer. Does UAT have a creative writing degree?

2. Yes, lots.

3. My advice is that you not write "walls of text" (that's a writing term you can look up on the internet), and that you apply better writing technique to your quest for career information. You say you've "been to" my website, but based on your questions, you either haven't read the pertinent articles, or you didn't like or didn't believe what you read. Because info and advice about writing for games is there, including what degree you need. There's also an article on Sloperama about how to ask good questions in forums like this.

4. There are a lot of colleges that offer creative writing degrees. You can research using the internet, and you can ask your advisor at your current school for guidance, too.

5. Why? Why is this your major criterion? Also, when you say "nerdy and cool," that's kind of a strange combination that needs explanation. You could just be saying you don't want a party college, because by definition students who are serious about pursuing education or a career are nerdy, but "cool" seems to be an antonym of "nerdy" - see "The Social Network" and "Big Bang Theory." You can use any criteria you like to choose a school, but if you want others to help you by identifying nerdy/cool schools, you need to explain what you mean. And I recommend that this criterion not be your major deciding criterion. First and foremost, you need a creative writing degree. Like it says on Sloperama.

6. Help you do what? Probably.

7. You can work harder at thinking through what it is you want to find out, and make a list of candidate schools, and make a decision grid. Like it says on Sloperama.

8. But you didn't want to read the detailed explanation (or you didn't like the detailed explanation) on Sloperama, so how do we know you'll actually read and appreciate a custom-written just-for-you detailed explanation?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.

Last edited by tsloper : 01-04-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
CollegeWriter19

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Thanks 4 your help and I will go to your website right now and I will research other schools. I wrote this post last night before i went 2 sleep I didnt want to sound like a douche or anything and I didn't mean a nerdy but cool college. I just want a corge that's also a party school with clubs like anime and film club idk. And I would like to do story or dialogue writing. thank u for replying so fast. I thought I would get a reply in a few days and not q few hours.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeWriter19 View Post
Thanks 4 your help and I will go to your website right now and I will research other schools. I wrote this post last night before i went 2 sleep I didnt want to sound like a douche or anything and I didn't mean a nerdy but cool college. I just want a corge that's also a party school with clubs like anime and film club idk. And I would like to do story or dialogue writing. thank u for replying so fast. I thought I would get a reply in a few days and not q few hours.
You need to work harder at polishing your writing, if you want to be a writer...

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Closed Thread