Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
raistmere

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Hello, I am looking for degree advice on VG industry.

Hi, before I start let me thank you so much for reading and posting advice. Once again, thank you for your time.

ABOUT ME
My name is Andre, I am a 22 year old college student seeking a opportunity to break into the video game industry just like many others. Just like everyone in the VG industry, I been an avid gamer for majority of my life and enjoy playing them. But it stems more then just playing them, I love understanding them and breaking them down like a piece of code. I have basic understanding in many subjects of VG industry such as; programming, concept art, 3d modeling, animating, and business fundamentals. I seek to produce and make my own game in the near future with my very own company.

OBJECTIVE
To create my own video game business and establish quality games that players like me will enjoy.

PURPOSE
To express my self in video games and create something that no one has ever dreamed of.

GOAL
I would like to be in position where I can decide what gets to be in the game. I would like to design new mechanics and get rid of parts of the game that will cause a problem in the future. To understand what it takes to create a game and learn from past mistakes by providing a new product that players can enjoy.

THEORY PLANNING
I constantly think of ways to improve my self and my future. This is also a double edge sword for me because I can't seem to be satisfied with my decision. Which leads to me trying to find new questions to ask my self. These are some plans I gave my self to prepare myself, feel free to tear them down and explain to me what I can do to improve my plans.

1. I decided to get my BS in computer science at my local Uni and try my hardest to get good grades for my graduate degree. After completing my BS, I will then transfer after creating a good quality portfolio to SMU: Guildhall for my masters in video game design. In the meantime, I will try to get my foot in the door by applying for interns or anything that will help with my video game experience. Then push my way into the industry and start my real challenge.

2. Get a degree in business, and try to find a way to get into the VG industry through the business side of the industry. By doing this I can get to know the business purpose of how to manage a company, which will help me understand how I can create my very own video game company. After saving money and networking with other producers and such, I will then try my chance at creating my own video game industry. Nothing is easy but nothing is impossible.

3.If you have any advice on planning please feel free to drop something in this section and Ill get back to you. Thank You

QUESTIONS
1.Before I get into what type of degree I want, I would like to ask the following question about the VG industry. My end goal is to have my very own company but that is something in the far far future and right now I must understand more about the industry. So my question is, If I am looking to be someone who gets to sit in meetings and talk about the "blue prints" of a game and decide what type of mechanics would work in certain parts of the game and basically design it from scratch, What type of job would be closely resemble something of that description?

2.At this moment in my life, I am about to get ready to decide what type of degree I should choose. After reading the above question, what type of degree would fit to someone who is trying to fill in one of those positions? Explain.

3.Right now I am currently theory planning a business degree and wondering if that would be a wise choice for a degree to get into the VG industry?

If you have any questions or advice that will not fit in any of these questions, please feel free to post it and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank You
raistmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24
Default Re: Hello, I am looking for degree advice on VG industry.

Hi Andre,

Great post. Here is my advice to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistmere View Post
So my question is, If I am looking to be someone who gets to sit in meetings and talk about the "blue prints" of a game and decide what type of mechanics would work in certain parts of the game and basically design it from scratch, What type of job would be closely resemble something of that description?
The folks that typically do this at the early stage of game development for a game studio are experienced leaders (of all disciplines) or experienced senior designers. Unless you are working alone or with a couple of people on an indie title, you will not likely find yourself doing this type of activity for the first several years you are in the business. Ultimately the best shot of doing this type of work is to become a Producer or Lead Designer.

Quote:
At this moment in my life, I am about to get ready to decide what type of degree I should choose. After reading the above question, what type of degree would fit to someone who is trying to fill in one of those positions? Explain.
Personally, I think that the BS in Computer Science is all you need. With that and your drive you can find a way into the industry and work your way into the rolls that you want faster and with more hands-on applicable experience than trying to also get design and business related degrees.

Quote:
Right now I am currently theory planning a business degree and wondering if that would be a wise choice for a degree to get into the VG industry?
I don't think so. I can see the potential value here in helping you start your own business in the future, but I think that the Computer Science degree is all you need to achieve your goals.

Quote:
If you have any questions or advice that will not fit in any of these questions, please feel free to post it and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank You
I've created a website that is aimed directly at someone like you. Check it out at www.ineedtomakegames.com

Best,

Destin
Destin Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistmere View Post
1.a. If I am looking to be someone who gets to sit in meetings and talk about the "blue prints" of a game
1.b. and decide what type of mechanics would work in certain parts of the game and basically design it from scratch, What type of job would be closely resemble something of that description?

2. what type of degree would fit to someone who is trying to fill in one of those positions? Explain.

3.Right now I am currently theory planning a business degree and wondering if that would be a wise choice for a degree to get into the VG industry?
1.a. Everybody on the team gets to participate in that.

1.b. Obviously you're talking about the role of Game Designer (or Lead Designer or Design Director). But I'm sure you knew that already.
http://www.skillset.org/games/careers/profiles/
http://archives.igda.org/breakingin/career_paths.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm

2. Since your eventual goal is to run your own company, I think you should study Business. And read http://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm - and http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm too.

3. Of course (since you want to run a company eventually). This should be obvious, no?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
raistmere

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
The folks that typically do this at the early stage of game development for a game studio are experienced leaders (of all disciplines) or experienced senior designers. Unless you are working alone or with a couple of people on an indie title, you will not likely find yourself doing this type of activity for the first several years you are in the business. Ultimately the best shot of doing this type of work is to become a Producer or Lead Designer.
Thank You. A question I have concerning Lead Designer: I notice that majority of the people hired for this position are already experienced in the video game industry under certain past positions (programmer, artist, animator, etc), as you stated. The question is, would education increase my chances to becoming a lead designer or is seniority/experience in the company a huge factor in this equation? For example; Achieving a BS in CS and a Masters in Video game design.

Quote:
Personally, I think that the BS in Computer Science is all you need. With that and your drive you can find a way into the industry and work your way into the rolls that you want faster and with more hands-on applicable experience than trying to also get design and business related degrees.
Thank you for your insight. I will now research a little more on what I need to achieve my goal.

Quote:
I don't think so. I can see the potential value here in helping you start your own business in the future, but I think that the Computer Science degree is all you need to achieve your goals.
Thank You

Quote:
I've created a website that is aimed directly at someone like you. Check it out at www.ineedtomakegames.com
Thank you for the link. The more information I can gain the better I can understand what I am up against.

Quote:
1.a. Everybody on the team gets to participate in that.
I see what your saying. I only wish there was a degree specialized in this position and you can apply for it just like applying for a programmer or artist. It seems more of a experience/years in the company position that can only be earned through hard work and a drive to make video games.

Quote:
1.b. Obviously you're talking about the role of Game Designer (or Lead Designer or Design Director). But I'm sure you knew that already.
Correct I did. Just wanted some clarification if that was the correct position that I described. I know all the positions but their descriptions may vary in some companies. Instead, I decided to state exactly what I would like to do in the company and see if my description would fit any of the positions in the VG industry. Once again, Thanks for your information.

Quote:
Since your eventual goal is to run your own company, I think you should study Business.
If I had the money I would love to stick it out and make my own company. But in the meantime, I better learn what it takes and see if I can gain enough trust from different producers and start something. Still, a business degree is something I can use in the long run. Still researching my options. Both paths sounds possible.

Thank you both for your input on this matter.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880

Quote:
1. A question I have concerning Lead Designer: I notice that majority of the people hired for this position are already experienced in the video game industry
2. The question is, would education increase my chances to becoming a lead designer
3. or is seniority/experience in the company a huge factor in this equation?
4. I only wish there was a degree specialized in this position
5. and you can apply for it just like applying for a programmer or artist.
6. It seems more of a experience/years in the company position that can only be earned through hard work...
1. Yes. You don't get to become a Lead until you have proven yourself. That's the way it is with positions of responsibility and trust in the business world.
2. Sure. Education increases your chances of getting hired. Getting hired increases your chances of attaining higher positions.
3. Yes. You can't attain a higher position without first getting hired. Education is a prerequisite for getting hired.
4. Who said there isn't? (Not that you really need one, since any degree can get you there.)
http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson44.htm
http://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
5. We can't change reality for you. Instead of wishing, just get to work. In addition to planning for your education, you can start now to build a portfolio. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
raistmere

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Your absolutely right and thank you for your consultation. I just like to think alot about different things and that's my problem. Instead of saying, I have to do it. I took steps but not enough to get me to where I want. I will gradually increase my pace. Thank you once again for your advice. I will remember this.