Get the latest Education e-news

Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
EsCh3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Portafolio planning

I'm taking a 2 year college degree on game development and in my second year the changed the curriculum and now we are using XNA for everything.

XNA is great and I already did my first game, heres a couple screenshots
AmebaWars1.jpg
AmebaWars2.jpg

Next term I will be working on making a 3D game with XNA, this term we reviewed most of the technology required, so next term is putting it all to action.

So those are 2 pieces I will definitely put in portfolio, also before taking this degree I worked for over 6 years in web development, so I have a lot of stuff from that time, such as E-learning, games on flash, CMS, etc. So Ill put some of that I guess.

Now my main concern is that if I don't put a piece on c++ I wont be taken seriously, I have made many c++ apps, but it's all very small stuff and a lot of console based applications, should I make it a priority to get something that I can show off made with c++?

Thanks for any input
EsCh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsCh3r View Post
Now my main concern is that if I don't put a piece on c++ I wont be taken seriously, I have made many c++ apps, but it's all very small stuff and a lot of console based applications, should I make it a priority to get something that I can show off made with c++?

Thanks for any input
AKAIK, the portfolio is there to show you skills and I would be far more concerned to know that you can program and finish a project. The language is irrelevant for the portfolio.

The programming test however, is a different story but as long as you know the language, you will be fine.

You can always contact HR of various companies and see if they need a C++ piece for the portfolio if you are still on the fence.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote