Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Libertine

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Animator questions

I am from Seattle and I'm thinking about being an animator. I am currently a house painter with 2 years of community college involving almost no technical courses. I learned basic C++ game programming for fun and learned trigonometry again (from High School) also for fun. I am learning from scratch through Maya's tutorials and willing to purchase it if a career will pan out. I'm currently motivated from a desire to help with animation for The Dark Mod (thedarkmod.com), but i also would like a career change.

1. How much do animators earn?

2. Is animation enough or do i need another skill set such as art, modelling, texturing?

3. Is the field of animation a safe long term field or are new technologies replacing workers?
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Flipmcgee

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

1. How much do animators earn?

Depends on where you'll work. Check salary surveys to get an idea (from entry level to having years of experience). Expect so-so figures for entry level. Real money will only happen after you've "paid your dues" and land senior level jobs.

2. Is animation enough or do i need another skill set such as art, modelling, texturing?

I recommend having more than one 3d skill. Lots of companies, in this current economic situation, are looking for all around 3d artists. But if you're applying for 1 specific position (animator, modeler, texture artist), focus the portfolio you'll submit to that skill.

3. Is the field of animation a safe long term field or are new technologies replacing workers?

Depends. "Field" of computer animation is pretty broad and not just limited to characters. The more flexible and technically inclined you are the better your chances of landing jobs. If you just want to do characters, for example, well....you're just competing for jobs in that genre. But if you can do rigging, editing motion capture, animating mechanical parts, animating for simulations, animating special effects...you'll have a wider market to shop your skills. Some of these jobs you might find boring or not glamorous compared to others, so research and try out tutorials to find a line of work that's compatible with your personality and career ambitions.

Good luck.

Last edited by Flipmcgee : 04-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Flipmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Libertine

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks, I appreciate your time.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote