Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Other/Off-Topic
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #31
bittman

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss62

No, they shouldn't make Barret as good. He hasn't got a decent backstory when compared to more awesome characters, hence the lack of fanbase. But of course, the Final Fantasy creators knew this when they created the game. I think they tried to make FFXII a balance of characters, but in the end most of them were highly unlikable.

Anyway, that's an off topic rant on Final Fantasy, back to the off-topic Street Fighter thing:

So what I get from your analogy, is that a player (the defendant) NEEDS the lawyer (the character) to save him. It's like saying a player should not rely on their own skill, but the skills of the character.

A reference (away from Street Fighter, which I haven't played) would be to look at Snipers in Team Fortress 2. It's very easy to discern the difference between a good and bad Sniper based on the player skill, and though good snipers can often win an entire game themselves, there are few that are that good and thus the most "overpowered" class is often seen to be demoman because he has more players who, even by using him poorly, can still threaten the other team with area denial and other explosives.

Has little to do with marketing, but that's another can of worms I'm already tired of arguing about.
bittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #32
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittman View Post
No, they shouldn't make Barret as good. He hasn't got a decent backstory when compared to more awesome characters, hence the lack of fanbase. But of course, the Final Fantasy creators knew this when they created the game. I think they tried to make FFXII a balance of characters, but in the end most of them were highly unlikable.

Anyway, that's an off topic rant on Final Fantasy, back to the off-topic Street Fighter thing:

So what I get from your analogy, is that a player (the defendant) NEEDS the lawyer (the character) to save him. It's like saying a player should not rely on their own skill, but the skills of the character.

A reference (away from Street Fighter, which I haven't played) would be to look at Snipers in Team Fortress 2. It's very easy to discern the difference between a good and bad Sniper based on the player skill, and though good snipers can often win an entire game themselves, there are few that are that good and thus the most "overpowered" class is often seen to be demoman because he has more players who, even by using him poorly, can still threaten the other team with area denial and other explosives.

Has little to do with marketing, but that's another can of worms I'm already tired of arguing about.
In a way... Yes and no... It's like, in those type of games, it's a bit different, however, I can't disagree that making a Demoman more balanced would make it a better game. In the Fighting Game Genre, the point of a fighting game is to make sure every character has a fair advantage with their characters. There will never be a perfect balance, but you should at least have the closest you can get, see what I mean? It's 1 on 1. With those type of games, it's a bit odd because Demomen are overpowered, however, if you work together in a certain way, you can still win, but still, they SHOULDN'T be overpowered because it would provide challenge and a fair chance for everyone in the game. I wouldn't want to play a game where everyone chooses the same character just because that character is really "good/overpowered", that's for sure.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #33
bittman

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss62

Just thought I'd bump the topic with this: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/indus...dst_final_.php

And you wonder why the industry is inundated with sequels? Blame the public for looking at things they trust rather than what is new and exciting. Not one original IP in that whole list.
bittman is offline   Reply With Quote